Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any current deals on a Delta 46-460 lathe? It's time to buy....

Any current deals on a Delta 46-460 lathe? It's time to buy....

I played with the idea of a lathe last year, but went with a bandsaw instead. I've been saving my pennies and I think I'm ready for the lathe (and associated turning tools, and extension, and grinder, maybe a chuck....). Amazon is sold out for months, everywhere else I can find it's a full price. Anybody know of a good deal? Trying to also take advantage of the current rebates.
    Where did I put that?

I got mine from ToolNut. I really liked working with them.

I have my eye out for this lathe as well. I will probably pull the trigger when Amazon gets them back in stock. There's a $50 rebate on it via some retailers, but unfortunately that led to everyone hiking the price to $650ish.

Tools-plus $599+6.50shipping-$50rebate

I just ordered one through amazon via CPO for $599 with free shipping, and there is also a $50 rebate.

Delta 46-460 Via Amazon/CPO

Please note that I may have grabbed the last one in stock, as my delivery is scheduled for next week, but now the CPO/Amazon availability is 'ships within 1-2 months'
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Have any of you bought from Tools-Plus before? I notice their policy on defective items is: Take it up with the manufacturer- which usually means a refurb. So if I get a DOA item- good luck to me... I placed an order on Amazon since it technically doesn't say "Out of Stock" and the estimated delivery is Nov 14th, so we'll see. I have until Dec 31st to buy it and still qualify for the rebate.
    Where did I put that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pierce View Post
    Have any of you bought from Tools-Plus before? I notice their policy on defective items is: Take it up with the manufacturer- which usually means a refurb. So if I get a DOA item- good luck to me... I placed an order on Amazon since it technically doesn't say "Out of Stock" and the estimated delivery is Nov 14th, so we'll see. I have until Dec 31st to buy it and still qualify for the rebate.
    A few years back I bought a Uni from them and it had a damaged top. They sent out a new one the same day and I received it two days later. You can just call them - ask for Jennie.

Mike

Update: www.cpodeltamachinery.com is sold out until December. Rockler has it on sale now for $589.95, plus another $50 mail-in-rebate. I am getting woodcraft to match the in-store price (considering a Woodcraft is closer to where I live and they have always had great service with me). I will end up paying about 25$ more in sales tax vs ordering online, but still comes out to about $575 overall after tax and rebate. I can't seem to find the rockler flyer online to link, but call them and they will let you know over the phone the price.

Yea, unfortunately I don't have any good WW stores near me. I'll call Rockler, but I think they charge $50 shipping as well. Amazon will probably be my best bet. On second look, Rockler is sold out too. I wonder if there's a supply issue...
    Where did I put that?

Blog Entries
    I use tools-plus a lot. Probalby more than any of the suppliers. Several purchases, never had an issue.

I think tool-nut would be a good source also. A lot of the new lathes threads in the turning section are tool-nut purchases.

Good luck with it.

PHM

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pierce View Post
    I played with the idea of a lathe last year, but went with a bandsaw instead. I've been saving my pennies and I think I'm ready for the lathe (and associated turning tools, and extension, and grinder, maybe a chuck....). Amazon is sold out for months, everywhere else I can find it's a full price. Anybody know of a good deal? Trying to also take advantage of the current rebates.
    Woodcraft, at least in Colorado Springs, is offering 15% off until 29 Oct.

Pages 6-7, bottom left corner:

Rockler Woodworking Delta 46-460 VS Lathe $534.99 After $50 Mail-In-Rebate

That is $584.99 pre-rebate, dang nice price.

I will be getting one from Woodcraft later this week at the matched Rockler Price (the local woodcraft has been really good for me in deals/customer service, so I would rather give them my business if they can match a lower price).
    Last edited by alex grams; 10-17-2011 at 11:00 AM.

If you can walk into a Woodcraft and want to buy a package setup they will deal with you.
    I got mine there early in the year for $500. on sale.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Thanks to the tip of a fellow creeker, I called a Woodcraft who will work with me on a package deal, next time they have a sale later this year. I'll be getting the lathe, extension bed, chuck and grinder. Thanks for all the tips.
    Where did I put that?

+1 all of the comments on WoodCraft stores, particularly the one outside Birmingham, Alabama.

I have dealt with the store manager, Jay (a fellow Creeker), several times over the past couple of years. Purchases have included a Jet 1642 and Delta 46-460. In each case, he was able to best the mail order houses and shipping was way less than expected. I have also purchased a number of wood blanks from them. Since Jay is a fellow turner, he handpicked some great pieces. Even though I live 250 miles away, I cannot imagine more personalized service if I lived next door.

It also gives me a good feeling to know that I am supporting a local store (even if it's not local to me) that supports the woodworking community through demos, classes and workshops.