Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Beauty

Cool My New Beauty

Here's the Reader’s Digest version:

I drove down and picked up my lathe at the Robust factory on Thursday, Oct 6, 2011. Had a great time talking with Brent English (owner) and meeting his very talented employees! After checking out the lathe, Brent disassembled it into smaller ‘manageable’ pieces because he knew that I was going to haul everything to my basement shop by myself.

Got home Thursday evening and was way too tired to even think about moving the lathe, so waited until Friday.

On Friday I hauled everything, except the lathe bed, to my shop and then my nephew and a couple of his friends stopped over to help with the bed. Seriously, even with four of us carrying the bed, it was still heavy!

Got everything put back together and fully operational, adjusted the spindle height, balanced the machine and waxed the ways before calling it a day! At that point I was beginning to feel my age!

My Beauty v1.jpg My Beauty v2.jpg My Beauty v3.jpg

Today, Saturday, I just had to see this lathe in action, so grabbed a dry bowl blank and threw it on the lathe. All I can say is WOW! Now this is a lathe!

My Beauty v4.jpg My Beauty v5.jpg

Thanks for looking!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Awesome, just awesome!

Steve,
    Fantastic!!! Glad it went in ok. I can just imagine how hard it must have been to get down those steps. Can't wait to see more stuff from it. The black looks cool, btw.

That is a lot of lathe!! Enjoy!

Ohhhhh, man - you got it dirty!!!!! If I owned a lathe like that, I think I would have to have one of those "roped off" white glove areas, and make shavings on that ol' 1642!!

Sure looks great sitting there, Steve. Glad you got it downstairs without injury - to you or the lathe.

Oh boy...here we go!!! Let's see where this one takes us!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Congratulations Steve. What a spectacular lathe. Please give us regular feedback as to how you like it. It's at the top of my "Dream Lathe" list.

Amazing. It's so beautiful...but will look better with only the top few inches showing out of a mountain of shavings.

Very cool, Steve! One of these years I'll upgrade to something similar. That one should last you a while....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Congratulations on finally getting your beauty. I don't know how you managed to wait that long for it. It sure would be my dream lathe if I could ever afford it. Hope you have fun. Can't wait to see what comes off of it.

Steve

Congrats Steve on a fine lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

congratulations Steve, June to October....i know its has been hard....enjoy

Steve - Congrats! It sure looks nice. It had to be a lot of work getting it in the basement even in pieces.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

This is when you wish you could have a lathe party, invite all your woodturning buddies and have a "Turnathon", and then say to yourself " I get to turn on this the rest of my life". Enjoy it Steve it looks great.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Now that's what I call a beauty! What a nice machine. Only thing is... what is that on the floor? It looks an awfully lot like a rug! Please tell me you don't have a rug in your shop!
    David DeCristoforo