Thread: Jet 3 wheel 1hp power feeder?

Jet 3 wheel 1hp power feeder?

Is a used one worth $275? I am going to look at one tomorrow. I am guessing it is since a new Grizzly is $950.

CAry

I think thats a good price Cary, even if you had to put wheels on it. I'd pay that in a heartbeat for one around here.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Great price, as Jeff said, you'll probably need new wheels for it.

The after market wheels are good, nice and tacky so they don't slip..........Rod.

Thanks for the replies guys. Why are feeders 220V only when they such low hp?

I think that they are 220V so that you can easily tap power off of the machine where they are being used. I generally add a pigtail with receptacle to shapers for use with feeders. Some people add a J-box with receptacle.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I think that they are 220V so that you can easily tap power off of the machine where they are being used. I generally add a pigtail with receptacle to shapers for use with feeders. Some people add a J-box with receptacle.
    I was wondering about that. Thanks, Cary

Cary, If you go look at it, tighten the post and try to move the head. If it can't be moved you are golden. Some are hard to tighten down. Take off the cover and look at the two gears and chain to make sure they appear good. Listen to it run and you should be good to go. Price is right. Dave

Thanks for the tips Dave. I aame going to look at it in a couple of hours.

Well, I went to get it today. He e-mailed me last week that it was 3 phase so I told him I wasn't interested. I emailed him several days later, asking him if he would accept $200 to offset the cost of a VFD on my side. He said that would be fine. It is in really good shape. I will tuck this away until I can get some other projects out of the way. Any suggestion for wheels that are reasonable? I know FactoryMation gets a lot of nods for VFDs. Has anybody purchased new or used off the bay with any luck?
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 10-21-2011 at 5:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Cary, I have bought lots of used vfds but since you need such a small one there is no advantage over new. Keep in mind that you will not want to change speeds or use the switch for on or off but rather use the vfd. Western roller won't exactly be cheap but they are what you want. Much better than stock. Looks to be in good shape. I'm on my way to pick up a univer 1800 used. You are going down the " I need three phase" road pretty fast. Dave

I have a question about the rollers. I am looking online and can't see anything the right size. The dimensions are as follows:
    center hole diameter = 1-3/8"
    bolt distance CTC = 1-7/8"
    roller width 2-5/16"
    Hub diameter approximately 3-1/4"
    Overall diameter 4-5/8"

Do I want rubber or urathane?

Are the tires pressed on the hubs or do I need to buy the hub and tire?
    The only number I see sis C02-0303.

Thanks,
    CAry

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have a question about the rollers. I am looking online and can't see anything the right size. The dimensions are as follows:
    center hole diameter = 1-3/8"
    bolt distance CTC = 1-7/8"
    roller width 2-5/16"
    Hub diameter approximately 3-1/4"
    Overall diameter 4-5/8"

Do I want rubber or urethane?

Are the tires pressed on the hubs or do I need to buy the hub and tire?
    The only number I see sis C02-0303.

Thanks,
    CAry
    Most stock wheels are pressed on, you can send in your hubs to have them pressed on, you can't really do that yourself. You can buy a split hub replacement that allows you to change wheels your self. Get the polyurethane, much better grab under all conditions except wet, and they last much longer. The standard rubber is cheaper, but it seems to glaze quickly, whether you use them or not, and some species such as oak that are acidic make this happen quicker. Urethane does't glaze like that. Congrats on a great deal. Enjoy that feeder, its a great addition to a TS or shaper, or even router table. I wanted a 3 phase model myself for infinitely variable speed but a good deal popped up on a 220V. Having a VFD with speed control will add a lot of control over the standard 4 or 8 speeds generally available, particularly at the lower speed range.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 10-21-2011 at 7:27 PM.

Cary, You will find the sizes are not exactly the same as you have. Slightly narrower I believe. As said earlier it is the yellow urethane ones. Dave

If you call them with the model they will set you up with the correct ones.

For wheels, I would call Dave at Oella saw. Last time I was there, he had a bunch of them at good prices. For the drive, the teco is an easy choice, but you may also want to consider Hitachi from Drives Wharehouse.