Thread: Jessem Doweling Jig initial thots

Jessem Doweling Jig initial thots

initial thots on the jessem doweling jig for anyone thinking of buying one and looking for info on it. I received one yesterday. initial thots: super high quality construction of most of the package, a few things that don't seem to make sense, and some things that would have made it better IMHO. overall very pleased with the kit and first dowel holes. the following are just my opinions, others may have different experiences, yada, yada. i wish i had the money to buy both the dowelmax and jessem and compare in the shop...but since i don't have that kind of dough, had to choose one over the other.

it was an extremely tough choice, both get rave reviews and are incredibly well made products. i chose the jessem for three reasons. ranked from most to least important to me...more adjustable out of the box (more intuitive adjustment at least), lower price, less parts to lose (I always seem to lose stuff over time).

When buying it, I did think it was a bit of risk because the jessem has so few reviews (that i could find) and what seems like a far smaller devoted user base compared to the dowelmax. i know that could be a function of its being a relatively new product compared to the dowelmax...but I wonder if there are real reasons (issues, shortcomings) that explain why the jessem doesn't have a huge and devoted fan base. Not sure on that one.

didn't make sense: the use of a two bar system for the index/extension system. why 2 bars? more work to screw in and out and you have to remove the index pin block to move it to the other side of the jig...whereas you wouldn't have to do that with a one bar system. not sure why they did that.

areas for improve: the allen bolts to adjust the jig for width could benefit from thumbscrews so you don't need an allen wrench. not a deal breaker, but it doesn't appear that having knobs would get in the way of operating the jig.

the manual shows how to center the jig on certain size wood and it calls for some to be flush with the jig and some to extend out of the jig 1/8th or 3/8ths of an inch. it could have been a huge upgrade to have a little side slide piece that works as a stop you can set at those increments. I know it would have driven up the price of the jig, so it's a price/functionality trade off. i get that.

The index pins seemed like an afterthought, they were much lighter material (cheaper?) than the jig itself. again, a trade-off i can live with for a $80 savings.

I made just a few holes with it, did great, but by no means did I put it through the ringer of multiple use tests or durability over time. hope to update the info after I use it more extensively.

I have had mine for a little over a year, I did have the DowelMax and would not go back, it is a great tool.

As you stated the 2 rods need to be replaced with one, I have found that I don't screw them in anymore and they work just fine. I turn them around and just use them as a stop into the hole, much faster and easier.

As to the allen screws, I did replace mine with some thumb screws that were somewhat like the clamp screws, I have now gone back, the thumb screws were just to hard to unscrew when they had been tightened. I am using a screwdrive type allen and that makes thing a lot better.

Here are some threads of mine you may want to take a look at.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=jessem

I just received the jessem jig and I totally agree every point you mentioned. It's a great dowel jig. I chose Jessem over Dowelmax and I did the right choice.
    I paid about $240 for the jig and the 1/4'' kit, much cheaper than dowelmax which is around $400 for the whole set.

One of the big reasons the Jessem doesn't have as big a fan base is it has been on the market for a lot longer and many folks that would buy a relatively expensive dowel jig already have the DM and most being happy with it they have no reason to switch.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The only thing I didn't like about it was to move the indexing rods(and pin) to the other side which makes the location of index messed up.
    The trick Bill suggested above makes this problem resolved and makes the use of the jig much faster and easier.
    It's an excellent jig, just a little bulky and big, perhaps too much of a good thing (I fear I drop it some day and if happens I hope it's not on my feet!).

It is a little bulky and big, but I like that feeling over the light metals. Since we don't need to hold it all the time, it's really not a problem. Yes, Bill had many good suggestions and that made this jig easier to use.

I agree. But for the new comers, I suggest they take a look at Jessem and compare with dowelmax. Both are good products.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    The only thing I didn't like about it was to move the indexing rods(and pin) to the other side which makes the location of index messed up.
    The trick Bill suggested above makes this problem resolved and makes the use of the jig much faster and easier.
    It's an excellent jig, just a little bulky and big, perhaps too much of a good thing (I fear I drop it some day and if happens I hope it's not on my feet!).
    As you are aware, I made a posting on "the other" forum last night, so this is for others:

Pictures are worth more than words, and those fail me sometimes, so I'll limit the descriptions. The mod is not the final word, as I used a piece of UHMW that is sure to wear out in one spot with repeated use. Also, the bolts used to attach the mod would not be very convenient, so please treat the pictures below as a proof of concept.

Things to improve in the mod:

- use a threaded insert in the mod's center hole, or use a 1/4" or so piece of aluminum with the center hole threaded, instead of UHMW
    - use knurl or thumb screw(s) to attach the mod to the jig.

Constructive criticism is always a good thing.

Threaded holes on either side of the jig, used for the factory recommended setup:

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Optionally, with one bolt removed and the mode flipped down, the mod can be used to index the jig from the edge of the material more reliably
    IMG_0990.JPG
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Darius, you do not have to screw the rods to the jig, turn them around and just use the rounded end as a stop. The DowelMax use this type of a index rod and it worked just fine, I use the same method on the Jessem.

Bill, I have a problem visualizing that.
    Would you mind illustrating the trick the next time you're at it?

No problem, I will shoot some pictures tonight and post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Ferlas View Post
    Bill, I have a problem visualizing that.
    Would you mind illustrating the trick the next time you're at it?
    Here you go, I hope this helps.

So lets say we have drilled the first holes and we need a space out the next group. You move the jig to the next position and lock it down. Now slide the rods into the block with the smooth end facing the jig, put the pin in and then push the rod against the jig and lock them down. Now drill the next set of holes, pull the pin and reposition it in the hole you need and push the jig against the rods and drill the holes, just keep it up until you are done.

This is the way I have done it many times and it works very well and it is easy to do. The stop block, pin and rods are not connect to the jig so it makes it much easier to work with.

Normal-1.jpg Normal-2.jpg

Other way-1.jpg Other way -2.jpg Other way-3.jpg

Bill, thank you very much. I really appreciate it, and now I understand that my whole idea was on a rather goofy side.