Thread: The Round Skew

The Round Skew

Has anyone tried a round skew? If so, what is your opinion?

I have a 1/2” HSS bit (8" long) that I though I would grind into one. A consideration came to mind which may stop me. The normal skew has the bevel across the entire width. Grinding to about 40* (about what Lacer suggest) would yield a bevel in the center 3/4" long. However, the bevel will decrease moving to the outsides down to where it is .0” long at the point.
    For planing I assume it is fine but how about for rolling beads, etc.?
    Is it just something someone made up to sell tools , or does it have a useful purpose above a normal skew?
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Michael I have a 1/4" round skew I use for finials and small turnings. I am don't think I would want a half inch round skew myself. I do like the 1/4" one a lot. I am sure you could make one and it would work fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie said it. I like mine, and the others in the local club like it also, but it is used for small detail work.

I use a 3/8" D.Thompson round skew,I use the toe point for finial work and can roll beads and plane with it. It does seem to be sharpened on a different angle then my regular skews.I'll try to check the angles on it this weekend and send them to you ,it might help.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Alan Lacer has often said, in reference to his oval skew "It is good for planting bulbs!" Just one man's opinion, but he does know skews!

Jerry
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Thanks for the replies.
    Guess I’ll save the 1/2” stock for something else. I do have some 1/4” and 3/8” stock; maybe I’ll give the 1/4” a try.
    Harry, I looked at Doug’s site and did not see the round skew so maybe he dropped them.
    Jerry, yep I saw that video of Lacers also. Maybe he’s another one (like me) who just has to try something to prove it doesn’t work.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Here are Robert Rosand's thoughts also:

http://www.rrosand.com/articles/19-3a.shtml

Good Luck,

Glenn