Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medallion and Acanthus leaves

Medallion and Acanthus leaves

Here is a project I just wrapped up that is going out today. Another "11th hour" job. Well, actually 2AM this morning just to have it ready.
    Anyway, It's 6 ft long, the Medallion is 14 1/2 " high, and done in Alder. It will be finished on site to match the rest of the cabinetry. It's a panel for a kitchen that will span the area above the refrigerator/freezer, which don't look like appliances. And the panel it's attached to has bee textured with chisel marks and there is an additional frame that wraps around it.
    This carving and the kitchen it will go in will be featured in an upcoming video on the design, building and work that goes into higher end kitchens.

It's not finished as this step will be done by the cabinet company to match the finish on the rest of the kitchen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Blog Entries
    Wow, this was done by hand? Very impressive!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Mark,
    Excellent work, as usual - I love the more traditional crafstmanlike work. Is this all your design, or were you matching/ complementing something else in the kitchen?
    Karl

Beautiful work! Must be a mighty nice kitchen!

Thanks guys!
    Yes , I too love the more traditional looking work. Hence my making a living with a mallet and chisel! Many of the kitchens I've worked on really push the envelope so to speak. Not unusual for them to start at 250K and up and the highest was 1.2 million for a kitchen ( not the whole house) in LaJolla Ca. All I can say is it must be nice.
    I don't often get to see the final installation of much of my work, but here is a job where it was featured in several magazines. I carved the 9 ft. tall and 10 ft wide trees in the background as well as the brackets under the island, the range hood etc.... The trees are in wormy Chestnut taken from barn beams. Pretty nice as kitchens go let alone the rest of the house where I did quite a bit of other carvings.
    All in a days work.
    The Woodworking Studio

excellent work!!.

Thank you Randall,,,right back at you.
    The Woodworking Studio

I don't know how I missed this in Oct. but glad I found it in Jan. Another piece of artwork very well done. How long from start to finish did this project take you to bang out? What I like about your carvings is that your lines are all very defined and crisp. From the pictures it looks like you sanded the acanthus but left the chiseled background, nice contrast! Thanks Mark!
    "Always Chipping Away"

Roger,, you're asking me to remember what I did in Oct.? I don't know what I did last week! If I remember correctly it took 2 weeks. Yes, I did sand just the carving as it was separate ( obviously) from the back board. I traced the carving, carved the back board and then applied the carving. I chronicled it on my blog though you'll have to dig a bit to find it. Not enough time lately to edit that as well. I also have a finished photo but I'm having a hard time for some reason getting it to upload from an e mail.
    Ahhh,, it worked. Now you can see the finished refrigerator/freezer for this kitchen. Pretty cool I think. It's being worked on in this shot but beamed ceilings, barrel vaults,you know,,, the typical home kitchen. Like mine.
    Bwahahahahah!!!! Yeah right.
    The Woodworking Studio

I missed your earlier post, also. That's some outstanding work. You have real talent.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the comments.
    Mark
    The Woodworking Studio

I can't believe how gorgeous your carvings are Mark. Much appreciate your posting... did you do the panels too?

What's your formula for how much you charge?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Wow.. thanks Jim,

No , I didn't do the panels. Had I seen them prior to carving the top piece I would have been inclined to change the style of my carving to match a bit closer to this style. Somehow my carving looks too clean. Not being disparaging,, nor boasting.. it's just how it hits my eye. I think the panels are supplied by an outside vendor to fit into these ref/freezers from somewhere in the East. it just looks like that type of carving to me and what I've seen.
    What is the formula for what I charge?
    It's a secret.
    At least to me it is because half the time I have no clue! I've been at this over 20 years and I still puzzle over that one. Being the type of work it entails there really can't be one recipe for figuring it out. Not trying to be obtuse,, it's just how it is. Basically it comes down to "art" work, and what the market is willing to pay. How do you know that when you submit a bid? You don't.
    For relief type carvings I've read that carvers charge anywhere from 2.50 to 4.00 a square inch. Where did that formula come from? I look at some of mine and depending on the piece have run nearly 10 times that. Others come closer to that figure. It depends what it is.
    I know this has told you essentially nothing,, but this is what I deal with on a regular basis. I'm basically shooting for a point between where the customer says,," Oh,, that's not bad",,,, and "Wow,, didn't know it would be that much". If it hit them with a price where they immediately say "Sure,,how much do you want for a deposit" I know my bid was too low. You don't know how many times my wife and I joke by saying " ,,,,should have tacked another thousand on that one" . Regardless,, I USUALLY make a profit on every piece. At least I like to think so.
    After 20 yrs of being the sole provider for my family,, I guess my system is working.
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark, as usual nicely done. Nice to be able to see it installed too. I had to stare at the photos for some time to take in all the detail. Thanks for posting.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck,
    It was nice for me to be able to see an installation as well as I rarely do. I carve 'em up and ship them out. Most pieces are finished on site or where other woodwork is being done. That's why most of my work photos are in bare wood. It's difficult to imagine where or how some of the pieces are utilized seeing a piece just sitting on my bench for most people. I at least have prints or something to go by. This was thoughtful of the client.
    The Woodworking Studio