Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance on new shop

I am making different work triangles.
    My first is roughing. lumber storage in the rear, then near by jointer, planer, table saw.
    I am not sure about the second triangle..but I am leaning towards hand tool bench, tool rack and band saw
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

It's probably too late to be of great help here, but my thinking is to try to make it as easy as possible to make changes in your shop layout later, as when you buy a new machine you have to rework your dust system, and add electrical etc, so my solution is to use a suspended ceiling, which allows you to get to your wiring, lights, and possibly your dust piping. And I would want some open spaces in your panel, so you don't have to add a sub panel right away. A little bigger panel would cost more initially, but save later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    It's probably too late to be of great help here, but my thinking is to try to make it as easy as possible to make changes in your shop layout later, as when you buy a new machine you have to rework your dust system, and add electrical etc, so my solution is to use a suspended ceiling, which allows you to get to your wiring, lights, and possibly your dust piping. And I would want some open spaces in your panel, so you don't have to add a sub panel right away. A little bigger panel would cost more initially, but save later on.
    Hey Jim. It's not too late at all! This has been a SLOW process so far. I am just about at the point though where I am ready to dive-in. I am lucky in that the main panel is located in the shop and has a TON of room on it. I have definitely been leaning towards a drop-ceiling. Just trying to figure out which one will work best.

I was talking to a good friend of mine, and told him I was going to start a blog to document my adventures as I learn how to woodwork. He told me to go for it! So I did. Please feel free to drop by and see my little slice of the blogoshpere. I can't promise you will learn anything of value (other than maybe how to NOT do things!).

http://www.WorkTheWood.com

Mods - if it is against forum rules to post a link to my blog, my apologies and please feel free to remove the link.

- Lou
    - Lou

Lou, I just have one (tongue in cheek) question. Did you just move to a new state called East Tennesee or did you just move to a new to you state, the state being Tennesee and your new home being in the eastern portion of said state? My eyes read faster than my brain assimilates info, so I saw basically read it as you were a new resident to the eastern part of TN, then when my brain put the actual words together I was wondering if I needed to watch the news more, Tennesee had a civil war, split and I missed it all?

Good luck on your shop and your blog!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Lou, I just have one (tongue in cheek) question. Did you just move to a new state called East Tennesee or did you just move to a new to you state, the state being Tennesee and your new home being in the eastern portion of said state? My eyes read faster than my brain assimilates info, so I saw basically read it as you were a new resident to the eastern part of TN, then when my brain put the actual words together I was wondering if I needed to watch the news more, Tennesee had a civil war, split and I missed it all?

Good luck on your shop and your blog!
    Nice catch Van. I should hire you to proof-read!
    - Lou

Talk about dragging up an old thread.... My new shop was put on hold for the past year for a couple of reasons. The first and biggest reason was that I had some health issues with my knee (as well as another unrelated problem). It was difficult to get down there and do anything when all I could do was hobble around. Now that I finally at least have that issue under control, the new workshop is back in motion. We have just started to finish out our entire basement including the shop. The basement project should be done by the end of January. We are subbing out a good chunk of the work (framing, drywall, electric, plumbing, carpet), and I am doing the rest (tile, trim, paint, doors). Attached are a few pics of the project. The workshop is the room that has the base cabinet pulled out near the center of the room. Also attached is a new layout of the shop with electrical outlets noted.

I am happy that I am finally feeling better and am looking forward to getting things going. The framing crew is down there now working away. It's nice to watch a team of professionals work. The speed and efficiency at which they are working is truly impressive. I plan to be posting regular updates as the project progresses.

Now I just need to figure out what tools to buy!

IMG_0055.jpgIMG_0061.jpgIMG_0065.jpgIMG_0066.jpgIMG_0071.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0077.jpgIMG_0078.jpg
    Last edited by Lou Stags; 12-26-2012 at 3:42 PM.
    - Lou

Modified layout with electrical.

ShopOutletLayout.jpg
    - Lou

This is too awesome. I was just looking for this thread yesterday to see if there had been any updates!

I sure hope your knee is doing better and you are looking at some type of flooring besides concrete. Hate for you to finish the shop and have issues with your knee again.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Russell View Post
    This is too awesome. I was just looking for this thread yesterday to see if there had been any updates!

I sure hope your knee is doing better and you are looking at some type of flooring besides concrete. Hate for you to finish the shop and have issues with your knee again.

Hi Shawn. Good Timing!

I am going to put down 1/2" of XPS rigid foam board, 1/2" OSB, and then a cheap laminate wood floor from Home Depot on top of that. Should be nice and comfy!
    - Lou

I am thinking about using the motor from a HF 2HP dust collector to build another air filtration unit for the shop. I would like to hear any thoughts on that approach.

Also - I am having 4 recessed can lights put into one of the sofitts in the shop. Should I use the "shower type" of baffle trims with the cover that encloses the light, or is the normal "open" baffle trim just fine?
    - Lou

Lou, it is a shame you aren't closer. I have two (but have plans for one) squirrel cage blowers that I found on CL. One of them would make a good air filter motor. Not sure how you plan to make the HF motor into an air filter...using the the fan and housing, too? I suppose putting that into a housing with a filter on the intake and being able to vent the clean air would work. But a lot of amps for an air cleaner. Most air cleaners are well under 1 hp...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Lou, it is a shame you aren't closer. I have two (but have plans for one) squirrel cage blowers that I found on CL. One of them would make a good air filter motor. Not sure how you plan to make the HF motor into an air filter...using the the fan and housing, too? I suppose putting that into a housing with a filter on the intake and being able to vent the clean air would work. But a lot of amps for an air cleaner. Most air cleaners are well under 1 hp...
    Mike,

I wish I were closer, but am very happy to be feeling better. Good point about that unit being pretty beefy for an air cleaner. Any suggestions on how to re-purpose it?
    - Lou

Lots of progress the past 3 days. Rough wiring in shop is nearly complete. Still 5 more can lights to add in the soffit along the long wall (you can never have too much light!). Once the drywall is up and painted white, the lighting should be bright and even with minimal shadows.

IMG_0115.jpgIMG_0116.jpgIMG_0117.jpgIMG_0118.jpgIMG_0119.jpgIMG_0120.jpg
    - Lou

Blog Entries
    Man, I would love to have a 10' ceiling height in my basement shop. You are going to have a great shop space. But, I hope those steel jack posts are temporary.

Unfortunately they are not temporary. They do get in the way a bit, but hopefully the layout is minimizing the hassle. I never envisioned I would be building that small utility closet to hide the electrical panel and tankless hot water heater. If I would have realized that when we were building the house last year, it would have reduced the span that the beam needs to carry. They could have probably figured something out where the posts were not needed. Oh well.

I imagine everybody has lots of stuff in their shop that they would prefer be different. I'll focus on all the positives!
    - Lou