Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierced and Textured Yellow Birch....

Pierced and Textured Yellow Birch....

A friend sent me several nice spalted birch blanks from Wisconsin. This is one of them. This was turned several years ago. It's about 10 inches high.

The piercing and texturing was done in areas where there was little or no spalting. I let the figure and spalting determine the shape of the design....C&C welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice work Wally! I have got to try the piercing soon. G

Wally! Very nice!!! I am glad you posted both sides because the design in the second pic is much more appealing to me than the first. The contradiction between the curvaceous pierced area and the strongly linear textured section creates a tension that really works for me. And i really like the way you tied them together with the wave pattern. The other side is nice looking but it does not have the strength or coherence of the design in the second pic. (MHHO)
    David DeCristoforo

Wally, nice form, foot and lip, lot of work in this piece

thanks for sharing

Wally, Picasso would be proud!! This reminds me of an art class I had in high school - the teacher had us make random shapes, and then fill each shape with a "texture" of sorts, i.e., small dots, circles, random squiggles, etc. Amazingly, some of them came out quite nice.

The form on this piece is just super! I love the throat of the opening and the rim treatment.

Great work, Wally, and thanks again for posting some of your pieces!

Spectacular!

Very nice Wally, I like the way the dividing line flows from the piercing through the texturing. I've done some piercing and texturing so I've got a pretty good idea how much time you have in this piece...

Wally, 2 words, awe inspiring. Great job!
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Wally that is beautiful. Really nice piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Stunning piece Wally. But I will disagree with David D. in that I prefer the side on the first picture. Much more interesting IMO, of course.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Wally this piece has a big WOW!!! factor to it. Excellent flow & texture. You should be proud of this one.

Fantastic job, I really like the natural boundaries of the pierced / textured regions.

Beautiful shape and color to the wood. The piercing and texturing are great and I especially enjoy seeing things made from old growth yellow birch. It has a real richness to it.

Cast my vote for the second photo side. A great looking piece.

Really, really cool! I don't want to think about the amount of time involved...