Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardwood Dealers in Dallas?

Hardwood Dealers in Dallas?

Hi All-

We moved from washington, DC to Dallas this summer and thanks to the heat I haven't done much ww'ing. Yet

I've looked at the archives for hardwood suppliers in the DFW area, but the posts are all a few years. Any suggestions on a place near Dallas (preferrably North Dallas) with decent prices and rough sawn lumber? (I checked out Wood World a few weeks ago and was disappointed with the prices and selection - no offical price list and no rough sawn lumber)

Thanks
    Aaron

Welcome to Dallas Aaron. Glad you survived the hottest summer we have ever had. It was to hot to do much of anything this summer. I don't know of any hardwood dealers other than Wood World. There used to be a place in Dallas that mainly catered to the retail trade, but they were open to the public. The last time I went by there they had stopped dealing with the public. You are correct about Wood World, pretty expensive and no rough sawn, although their selection is okay. I end up buying most of my wood from them. I will be interested to see if any one has a better outlet.

Good luck and I hope you are enjoying the great fall weather we are having now.

David

Welcome Aaron. I don't know if Mike offers rough sawn, but you might want to try McKinney Hardwoods. Where in North Dallas are you?

http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com/
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

There used to be a great place called Austin Hardwood that I got all of my wood. Unfortunately it seems they have gone out of business.
    Just down the street, though, is the Harwood Lumber Company (www.hlcdallas.com) that you might check out. I know they carry rough sawn, but not sure of selection.
    I would like to go check out McKinney Hardwood. Mike Mastin is a great guy (I went to his old company before it shut down) and knows his stuff. I live south of Dallas, so that is a haul for me. But if I was looking for something special, I would probably call him and let him look to see if he had something that would fit the bill.

Tom

Aaron,

I lived in Far North Dallas up until about 5-6 years ago and miss it quite a bit. Despite this year's brutal summer, you'll appreciate the very short, very mild winter and oh-so-early spring coming your way when we in the NE are shoveling snow. Being so close to so many small mills outside of Philly and Lancaster is a not a bad benefit of being where I am. woodfinder.com is a good resource...I did a quick search and in addition to the two places already discussed is Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie. Their website looks promising for FAS hardwoods and specialty sheet goods.

The ones I'd suggest have already been mentioned. McKinney Hardwoods,Hardwood lumber company, and Brazos in Grand Prairie. Mike at Mckinney Hardwoods ( 972 658-2130)surfaces his stock, but just barely (skip planed) so you can see the grain and figure. Hardwood lumber Co. ( 972 869-1230) has a good selection plus milling and sanding capabilities. Brazos 972 602-1225) also sell both rough and surfaced.
    If you get up McKinney way stop in and say Hi. I'm always happy to have people stop in. Doesn't happen as often as it did when I was in Dallas proper.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Lone Star Hardwoods is another one I have been buying from. It's around 35E-635 intersection. Great service but they do not let you pick through the lumber.

I didn't know that Lonestar sold retail. Good to Know.Right around the corner from them is D&R Saw and Tool. woodworking machinery,tools and sharpening. I've been dealing with them for 30 years. Another is Central Hardwood Specialty on Rodney Lane. They also do not let you pick.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Isn't there a hardwood company that is on the east side of TI? Is it one of the ones already mentioned? I usually go to Barney Robinson's Hardwood in East Fort Worth, because they are close to me. I have been to the place in Grand Prairie too, before the name/company change. They had a good selection then. The warehouse then, and I'm guessing now, is HUGE!!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thanks to everyone. I'll be checking McKinney & Brazos over the next week or two. Lonestar is near us, we live close to Midway & Forest, so I'll find them this weekend.Yes the summer was brutal, but as a Chicago native who loves the snow, I'm a little nervous that I might not be so happy with the winters down here.Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Isn't there a hardwood company that is on the east side of TI? Is it one of the ones already mentioned?
    Jim - That one is Wood World with which Aaron was not too impressed.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

The 2 area Rocklers have recently had milled lumber for $1 per board. Most were 4 ft in length and your standard commodity hardwood species. It won't solve all your lumber probelms, but if you want a little inventory for less than $1/bf, it might be worth a look.

That's right Glen.

To explain, I went in to check out the selection, nothing particular in mind. I said good morning and wandered for a few minutes. The prices immediately seemed high as compared to the mid-atlantic. When I asked about rough sawn lumber the employee got a funny look on his face like, "why would you want that?" Then I asked about a price list, which got me the same look, and the response, "just give us a call and we'll let you know." That seemed odd to me, given that even the largest companies back east will offer copies of their pricelists and even post them online. Prices fluctuate, but not such that you'd not be able to set a price for a month or two.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Aaron, you are just around the corner from us. We live at Walnut Hill between Midway and Inwood. Welcome to the hood. If you need any suggestions for places to go in the area just let me know.

David

If you want to come over into Fort Worth, Barney Robinson is on Lancaster just west of Downtown. They will let you choose your stock. Unfortunately, they are open only on weekdays.