Thread: Is Shellac an Effective Barrier for Pressure Treated Wood?

Is Shellac an Effective Barrier for Pressure Treated Wood?

My woodworking has taken a slight detour as I am building a shed in my back yard. It is 10'x12' so I can have more room in my garage for my woodworking, and perhaps a car if I can squeeze one in.

On the shed, I may have made a mistake by applying pressure treated wood for my fascia boards. Too late, it is done. My problem is that now I need to wrap the fascia with aluminum, which I have learned is not a good idea due to the copper in the PT lumber does not play well with aluminum.

Now for my question, if I apply shellac to the PT, will that be an effective barrier to protect the aluminum? I was also considering using some roofing felt paper that I have remaining. If I had a 'do-over', I would not have used the PT, but like I said, that ship has sailed.

I appreciate your comments.

John

In response to my own post...

I did some further research. I think my solution will be to use the roofing paper and/or duct tape to provide the adequate barrier between the ACQ boards and the aluminum. Fortunately, there is not that much to cover. Now, I can get past this so I can resume my woodworking.

John

I'd use the tar paper...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.