Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW Bowl

SW Bowl

This sycamore bowl is 9.34 inches wide X 6.25 inches high. I know the mouth is a little to large, but I wanted the inside to be as smooth as the outside. The band around the outside is malachite. The finish is tung oil solution and then buffed, comments welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Glenn......that's absolutely beautiful! I don't do the spinny thing yet....still trying to finish the new shop but with the quality of your work setting the bar so high.......When I do start the spinny thing, I don't think I'll post pictures here. How do you apply the malachite? Beautiful!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I follow the directions in the last edition of "Woodturning Design". I turn a grove, about 3/16 of an inch deep, put in the malachite, big pieces first, CA glue them, and then follow this with smaller pieces, and then with the dust. After this is dry I then sand. Do not use accelerator or use it sparringly on the crushed stone because you will get the white fuzz, so it is best to not use it. You can buy crushed malachite or whatever you choose to use or crush your own. Thanks for your kind and nice comments.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    This sycamore bowl is 9.34 inches wide X 6.25 inches high. I know the mouth is a little to large, but I wanted the inside to be as smooth as the outside. The band around the outside is malachite. The finish is tung oil solution and then buffed, comments welcomed.
    I like everything about the bowl, Glenn, particularly the malachite band. But then, I'm totally into surface decoration. I, myself, favor turquoise.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Beautiful bowl Glenn. The banding really sets it off-- I have been thinking of trying the same on a bowl.
    Jerry

Glenn, that is wonderful! There is absolutely nothing wrong with that bowl! It is beautiful! I will have to try that technique sometime, thanks for sharing.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Terrific and original!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Glenn - very nice! I'm curious about the malachite as I'm planning on setting some into the front of some jewelry box drawer pulls. Is that natural malachite or the reconstituted stone? I've been eyeing a few sites that sell the recon stuff but haven't been too sure how it would compare appearance-wise with the natural. If that's the recon stone, how did you find it to work with? It looks very nice.
    Use the fence Luke

I appreciate all your favorable comments, thanks. Doug, this was a piece of malachite that I crushed in a mortise and pestle that I bought from a gold miner in Montana. It is made from thick iron. I have only used the real stuff, so can't answer about the other kind, sorry. Maybe some others can help.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Well essentially it is reconstituted as that's what they do to make the recon stone. The only real difference is that you did the process yourself instead of buying that way. Think I'll go ahead and take the plunge with the recon malachite. Thanks
    Use the fence Luke

Outstanding Glenn! That is a beautiful bowl.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Nice Job Glenn!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Very nice, Glenn! Nice shape and the inlay looks wonderful. In fact, I think it was the perfect way to set this turning off since the wood is fairly plain and conducive to the accent that the stone provides..."busy" wood and "busy" inlay don't always work as well, although there are exceptions, such as Stephen Hatcher's work where the figure in the wood becomes the "picture's background". Speaking of which, his article on page 8 of the Spring 2005 issue of Woodturning Design details his artistic inlay technique and is pretty much a "must read" for anyone interested in that form of embellishment. There is also good advice for selecting stone...hardness is one of the keys to success. (His website also has a technique article posted)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-26-2005 at 7:47 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Interesting turning, Glenn. I like the inlay. How hard is it to sand?
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Don, malachite has a hardness of only about 3 and the sandpaper is about 8 or so. It was not a problem to sand. Before I read the article I had tried inlaying some stone that was to hard and had a difficult time sanding. If you stay with a low hardness stone you will be OK.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia