Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making the bell ornaments

Curt, I have been away for most of the summer. Project after project! Anyway my contributor status had lapsed here at Sawmill so I logged on tonight and renewed. Then started looking through the forum. Let me say this single thread is worth my annual contribution plus some! Thanks so much for sharing. It's what I love about this forum and have truly missed.

John

I know this is an old thread, but after i saw it linked in another thread it seemed worth bringing back to the surface. Great tutorial on the bell ornament, and i may get a little mileage out of this one for small bowls as well. Thanks!!
    earl

Thanks for dredging this up from history-- I'm going to go try it!

The thanks should go to John Keeton, who dredged up the link for someone else. I may be able to get a start on one this weekend--but have a gifts to finish so they can be shipped first.
    earl

It was rather easy with an advanced Google search. Just enter (without the quotes) "Curt Fuller bell ornaments site:sawmillcreek.org"

I use advanced searches all the time. You can search craigslist the same way - Handplane site:craigslist.org That will give you hits for the entire US.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thank you Curt! Great inspiration. I will be trying this on my Christmas time off.

Decided to give it a shot. I've never done segmented turning. It's wicked hard to get the segments properly aligned while gluing, they keep wandering whenever you tighten the clamps. Perhaps I should have thrown a little sand in the joints first! Doing it again I'd use a thicker board on the inside and a thinner one on the outside to move the pattern further down the bell. I made the bell a lot smaller than the blank to get it down this far. A conical rubber chuckie on the headstock was perfect for driving the ornament to finish the top between centers.

IMG_2710.jpg

Reviving an old thread for those wanting to make a few ornaments.

Adding a comment so I can find this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wawro View Post
    Adding a comment so I can find this thread again.
    Terry, you can always go to the top of a thread and under the "Thread Tools" subscribe to the thread. Then it will be in your personal "Settings" under "My Subscriptions". That makes it very easy to find in the future.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....