Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on very large butcher block countertop for island

Advice on very large butcher block countertop for island

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and we are investigating replacing the currently planned granite countertop in our new island with a maple butcher block style top. The island will be 12' by 6'. There's no way I plan on making 12' long pieces, so I'm planning on building it using random length pieces ranging from 2' to 6'. The reason for this is I don't think I'd be able to joint boards 12' long and get them dead straight.

I've never built a butcher block before but I've looked at the construction techniques and feel pretty confident I can pull this off. I jointed, planed and ripped about 20 boards last night, got them 2" thick and 1 1/2" wide and they're dry fitting together very well. I plan on assembling, glueing and clamping this together on site. I'm guessing I won't glue up the pieces where the end grain meets (butted together along the length). Once assembled, I intend to sand out any seams in the joints and then fine sand and finish the assembled unit.

Any advice or pitfalls to watch out for as I take on this project? Anything I've left out that I need to consider? Since this is my first time doing this, I'd like to get a lot opinions from folks with more expertise than I.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Trouble

I think that you may be inviting trouble with your proposed plan. That is indeed a very large glue up - which I would not call a butchers block because it is not end grain.

Is it possible that you could inset a smaller wooden surface (3' X 6') in your island, much like a stove into a counter top? Could half of your island be wood and half granite?

I would not use butt joints like you are suggesting but rather I would scarf two boards together to get the lengths required - glued solidly with no place to accumulate bacteria.

My thoughts.

You have to look out for assembling the pieces into a top that's cupped or warped. You'll need a big flat assembly table that glue won't stick to. Perhaps you can put melamine-covered particle board on top of your island cabinetry.

What catches my eye in the plan is that you want to assemble and sand this in place. How do you plan to manage the glue up to keep it reasonably flat and square? if you dont get the glue up perfect you're looking at lots of hours of sanding and a huge volume of dust. Are you tooled up to handle that part of the job? Are you confident that you can sand it flat, not just smooth?

Do you have enough clamps? I'd figure on 24 clamps for a 12' glue up of this type.

Are you comfortable using plastic resin glue? PVA will be virtually impossible if you're intending to glue this up in one shot.

I've done many wood countertops for clients, some almost this size, and I would never, ever, consider doing one on site.

Just for kicks, have you calculated the weight of the finished piece? How will you handle it? - Edit; I just did, it will weigh 400 lbs if it is 1.5" thick or 525 lbs if it is 2".

I truly wish you the best if you proceed, this is a very adventurous project.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 09-26-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks guys. Jamie, agree with the large table and like the melamine idea.

Here's a picture I found. It represents what I'm thinking about. Of course, mine's a tad bigger.
    wood-countertop.jpg

Micheal, I would advise your to build your top in the shop. Its a lot easier to move something like that than it is to fabricate in a hostile environment. If you absolutely cannot move the whole thing, build it in two or maybe three parts. I mill my lumber top and sides leaving the bottom rough. After gluing into finished size planks, I plane it down to final thickness with the last pass being a light kiss on the top. This process allows me to ignore any wany boards or minor misalignments in my glue up. Dry assemble in the shop with dowels, dominos, a tight fitting spline or some other accurate registration method. Do all your sanding and leveling in the shop. Dogbones are my go to fastener for these type jobs. Dissamble then assemble in place. A quick pass with the ROS should take care of any minor misalignment, then finish with your favorite finish.

One question I do not know the answer to, could the thickness be as little as 1" and the top still stable enough to remain flat? You could save a lot of money on the material if you made the top thinner with 2" edge banding. It would be a heck of a lot lighter as well.
    As was stated above you can do your glue up in stages so you end up with several final pieces to glue together once in place if you choose to assemble on site. If the glued top was too uneven for easy flattening it would be easy to use a router ski over the top to flatten it out then you can sand it smooth.

Most tops I have seen are not face up but edge up so the edge grain is exposed with the face grain all glued together making it a lot cheaper to put together smaller thinner boards than trying to buy thick wide ones and you can more easily work around defects by trimming small amounts until you are into good wood again or cuttons so the defects end up in the middle of a face that will not show.

Michael, if you are going to use random widths, rip all your wood, and for each width, dowel the ends until you have a 12 foot lenght. When you have all the boards glued and doweled, rip them to clean up any discrepencies encountered when doweling the ends. Also, if you have a planer, run them through it to get an even surface.
    After you've got the boards cleaned up, put them together, mark for more dowels and the drill the edges. When you have 2-3 boards together, set them aside and do 2-3 more. When you have the riquired width, run each piece through the planer again to get flat surfaces. After that, mark the several peices, take them inside, dowel the edges needing dowels and make your glue up in place. There will not be much sanding to do to even up your surface as the dowels and planing did most of the alignments prior to assembly.... Let me know what you think of that idea........Jerry (in Tucson)

Thank you all very much for the thoughts. It's extremely valuable and greatly appreciated.

I am rethinking assembly based on your feedback. The problem is that the new kitchen is in our vacation home which is 100 miles away from my shop. I do have a large pick up truck to transport it but strapping a 12'x6' counter on the roof is scary to me. But maybe I do partial assembly and transport 12'x2' or 12'x3' sections up.

My planer is only a 13" portable planer, but I could assemble this in 12" - 13" sections, plane each down to a common depth and then assemble the 5 or 6 sections on site.

I'm wondering if you built up the sections, then used something like biscuits, Dominoes, or a stopped spline to align the sections to each others if you might not be able to do a successful glue-up on site. You could test fit everything and leave the final gluing until you get it there. You'll probably still have a fair bit of sanding to do, but you shouldn't have any major misalignments.

Or, just rent a trailer for a weekend.

Glue it up near the floor on stand offs that allow you to get your clamps under it. Plastic on the floor to catch squeeze. Use dowels to align shorts to make up your 12' lengths. Make as many sections as you can in your shop as wide as you can fit through your planer, or make them in two 3' wide sections and get those to a shop with a wide belt. We do this for people all the time where I work, I'm sure there is a shop near you that may also if you inquire. Many commercial shops have 24" spiral planers which would let you do this in 3 2' sections as another option.

Use cauls, biscuit, splines, dominos, dowels, what ever you are comfortable with to manage alignment of the sub sections. You can use PVA glue, type III, but you better have your running shoes on. Plastic resin glue is toxic, dried its still toxic, not food grade, so if food will touch this wood, skip that. And plastic resin glue is dark dark brown, maple is light so all your glue lines will look like racing stripes, so skip that. Did I mention skip the plastic resin glue? Glue up the widest sections you can handle with a type II or III PVA, even if that means two boards at a time. I've done 36" tops with one helper, takes less than ten minutes to spread glue and camp if you stage it correctly and have a good glue roller.

So you glue that large barge up near the floor, because you then rent a floor sander to level the darn monster! Realistically the easiest thing I could think of would be to sand two 3' sections on a wide belt sander at a shop, create a 1/2" stop spline in the center, use baltic birch for a spline, and joint the two sections in the field using counter top bolts, I know them as dog bones, there are a variety of types available. Voila, no glue in the center at all, maybe a dowel at each end too. You can use adjustable saw horses or make staging so one section is on the island, the other on the horses giving you access from below. You could also use a floor sander to level two 3' sections if no wide belt were available in your area. Think bowling alley, because that is basically what you are creating. I did some pretty wide 3 1/2" thick mahogany tops a while back using the counter top bolt technique because there was no way to deliver and place a monolithic top given the site conditions. I had the thing connected in the shop, ran an ogee, sanded it, broke it down for delivery, and only had a little light sanding to do in the field.

My self and one other guy placed a #500 soap stone sink using a floor jack and cribbing in my wash room, so with a little help and some smart mechanical advantage most weights under a few tons are manageable. Perhaps you can build a gantry into your kitchen theme?

Oh, two more thoughts, don't listen to anybody that says you can't do this, you can. And unless this top is being used as a launch pad for the next NASA space craft, it doesn't have to be a mechanically perfectly flat surface to function well. A "waves on the ocean" surface won't work well, but as long as its "flatish" enough to stand a wine glass on without toppling, its fine in my book.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 09-26-2011 at 8:15 PM.

I didn't do butcher block(which I think shows end grain but I did do edge grain. I used 3/4 inch thick birch and the boards are 2 inches wide. It is glued face to face. It is 24 inches wide. I did it in 2 section, each being 12 inches(I have a 20 inch planer. For each section I started by gluing 3 pieces together. Then each day I would add another 2 pieces.When it got to 12 inches I then planed it. When both were finished I glued them together and belt sanded. It was for my son who is waiting to get enough money for undermount sink ,etc. so the sanded countertop sits along the wall in my living room LOL
    I did it a few boards at a time because I didn't feel I had enough worktable space to glue all the boards together at once and get them all straight. However doing in on site should solve that problem. I was concerned with warpage as it is 12 feet long but that didn't materialize.

Good luck

Edit
    Having read some other comments I will add to my original post. It will be VERY heavy.Mine is 24 in.X12 ft and is heavy. I didn't use any registering attachments like biscuits, dowels etc. I just tried to get the top fairly even and didn't worry about the bottom. Planing takes care of eveness. I also butted pieces together. If you do it right its hard to see the joints and a finish will seal it. For the front lip on mine I used a board that was 12 feet long so there were no joints in the first board. After that all pieces were less than 12 feet. You would want to do that on the front and back.
    Last edited by fRED mCnEILL; 09-26-2011 at 9:57 PM. Reason: more info.

Michael, I did something to glue up my workbench top. I ended up using two or three pieces glued end to end for each strip. The dowel idea someone mentioned would have been handy I think. You need to clap on the end to end seams vertically, then cross-wise to laminate and end to end to pull everything together otherwise (like I did). I made it work OK. There was lots of flattening required afterward so I also agree with building the top in your shop if possible.

I agree that the end<->end joints are probably the most challenging to keep looking good long term. I like Chris's idea of scarfing pieces together. I think that that will likely allow it to be more stable and solid there. You could also scarf and dowel end<->end if that made alignment easier (maybe pre-drill the dowel holes and then cut the angles for the scarf). I would be concerned that dowels alone might allow the ends to pull apart and leave gaps later on, scarfing gets you a lot of long grain glue surface which should be pretty good.

Doweling or splining the pieces together on the edge is also a good idea (and has been pretty beaten to death above). A slight variation on that which I can't really recommend (just in case someone try's to get clever like me ) is to drill holes through the sides of the boards and run allthread all the way through every ~1' or so and use that as a combo clamping/alignment setup. On the surface that sounds like a good idea, but countersinking the ends of the allthread is a pain (you have to put a face board over them and you have to cut hole in it for the allthread to protrude into once the countertop shrinks width wise - which is will.. more than you'll like probably... especially if you're in a hurry like me and don't let stuff dry enough.. ) and you can't do a multi-part glue up - which I'm pretty convinced is key to success in wide pieces like this (unless of course you're way better at that than I am - totally possible ).

I have done about 7 counter tops and a bench top in the past few years and consider a 12' counter top a really big challenge..

Most of the ones I have built have been 5' - 6'6 long .. all for islands..

I build sections about 11" wide.. I have a 12" wide jointer with a 54" infeed table.. Once glued up .. I face joint the glue up until its dead flat, then flip and run through the planer. I usually end up with 3 - 4 slabs, 11" ish wide and full length..

I usually let them sit over night .. do their thing.. then run them through the sander so they are all smooth at 150 grit, and exactly the same thickness.

Then Edge joint them with face in/ face out.. face in / face out .. that way if the jointer fence is 89 degrees, the edge its matching up to is 91 degrees and I get a perfect fit, no cracks..

Then domino.. ( biscuits would work too ) .. so the slabs all glue up flush.. I always have the domino cut the slot much wider than the domino and put no glue on the domino .. its simply for keeping the top flush..

Lots of Bessey K- Body clamps..

On the last few, I have used card scrapers in addition to sanding..

If I where you, I would glue up slabs the width of your jointer.. bring them all to the site and glue them together on site.. The slabs alone are brutal to move, so final assembly onsite appeals to me.. but making the whole thing on site makes me cringe..