Thread: Universal Remotes

Universal Remotes

All Folks,

Please chime it about your knowledge regarding universal remotes. Like most, I've got about 7 of these puppies lying around and honest to god, I use 4 of them back and forth contstantly.

I want one that has some programmability to it so that I can, for example, press 1 button that will turn on the HT amp, adjust the input of the TV, turn off the cable box, and play the DVD. Things like that would be nice.

Start posting...links are appreciated. I think I'd like to keep it below $200-250 if possible.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I bought the Pronto TSU3000... $216 from ecost.com minus the ebates.com rebate. I like the fact that it was programable from my PC so I could design "my" screens. (The fastest way to program the buttons is still via IR learning during the programing process right at the computer) I also like the ability to program multiple codes to a single "button"...like the on/off for everything concurrently.

My only "complaint" about the device is needing to be careful when designing the screens to insure good contrast between a button graphic and the text on them. That's the downside to a grey-scale device. Color would be better, but "ching...ching...". I did end up buying the rechargable battery/base setup so I didn't have to deal with the AAA batteries, but it's not necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We use a Harmony H659, simple enough that the 5yro doesn't have to show ME how to use it

They have other models , but I had a Best Buy gift card I needed to use(the only reason I would set foot in their stores) and this is the only Harmony model they carry.

Kevin
    BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

I have Intellicontrol,

I don't know the price it was part of my home theater.
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 02-25-2005 at 7:39 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have the Home Theater Master 500 which is an excellent remote that can be purchased in the low $100 range - maybe cheaper because it's been around a while. You can set up macros and personalize buttons. The Harmony remotes get a lot of talk. The first decision should be hard button or touchscreen. There are great remotes in both types. Personally, I like to be able to press buttons without the need to look down in the dark. Simple things like volume. Try here for all sorts of info: http://www.remotecentral.com/

Stefan

Chris,

I have one of the nicer touch screen Sony's, I forget the model number. It works great, controls most everything Sony and non-Sony, has several macros, and fairly easy to use. However in practice I still like the original remotes better. I have 5 on the side table, of which I use the amp, DVD, and Cable box remotes the most. The TV remote is used occasionally, and the big Sony is great when I sit somewhere else. I guess it depend what you want to do. I can put them all away, but it's just easier to grap the remote I need. Not wasted money, but I guess a nice LN #2 would look better on the coffee table.

John

P.S. I did stick the VCR, CD Changer, and tape deck remotes in a drawer...