Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new aqusition: The 1929 Oliver 88D Table saw with slider & consentric wheel

Gorgeous Arn. I looked at a bunch of old arn this weekend and have my eye on a piece, just have to do some reading in the "dirty paper" to see if it is something I want to tackle.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Gorgeous Arn. I looked at a bunch of old arn this weekend and have my eye on a piece, just have to do some reading in the "dirty paper" to see if it is something I want to tackle.
    It certainly is addictive to pick up something you could never justify or afford for pennies on the dollar and with a little work turn it into something that gives you the " warm and fuzzies" everytime you use it. Dave

That saw looks like it hardly needs any restoration. When in college, the Industrial Arts Dept at FHSU had a Oliver with that fence. They also had a Powermatic, and nobody wanted to use the Powermatic. The professor actually ordered a new table for the PM, because he couldn't get the fence to line up, thought the table was flawed. After he changed it out, was just the same.

Enjoyed the bandsaw restoration thread, and looking forward to this one.

The 88 is going to be somewhat easier than the Moak 32. I had so much fabrication with that Moak....but it is coming out pretty good...

The 88 is going to be restored after I finish the American #16" "Buzz" jointer.....I don't have that thread started yet, lots of pictures and I have it all torn apart, body work is completed, and some of the parts have been cleaned and polished....it is next on the shop floor for the restoration....then the Oliver 117A band saw, and the 88 will be last...and finally the Oliver 20c is getting the new green that's on the Moak- all the equipment is getting the green.

B,

Well,
    She is almost completed, pictures later on today.....I still have to fab the VFD box and controller , and some minor things but all in all I am very happy with the outcome.....I did do some minor fabrications, 2 of which still need to be completed......

This was a lot easier compared to the 1942 MOAK.....that involved an incredible amount of design and fabrication which is very time consuming. I was gad the 88D did not need much as far as that goes....

B,

Well,

Here is what I have so far,

Fabricated dust plenum, re-engineered lock mech for the slider, re-engineered crank out for the sliding frame table,fabricated micro gage and miter strip bar, and then the last (which is not pictured) is the control panel/box for the Yaskawa VFD drive...
    the blade dust plenum i fabricated from 11ga steel - it work great and no dust.....here is some video on how it works...:
    tapped the main body for the threaded shaft to crank out the sliding table new OLDER handle, fabricated the lock assembly for the slider,

only item left is the control panel/box and clean the tables and then seal them along with buffing the paint and sealing the tables....

B,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the remaining pictures....

More coming when she is completed...

B,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 08-19-2012 at 4:55 PM.

I was talking to a member here and I never got around to uploading the final shots of the 88D....I'll be doing that later today or tomarrow....

Pics coming Zayd......

B,

Awesome work, beautiful saw!

Here are the final shots of the 1929 Oliver 88D....

B,

Brian, your work is always stunning. Looks like the tables were cold planed and still original? How is the runout and the slider? Dave

Run out?......

B,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    Run out?......

B,
    good one,very nice machine thanks for the pics

Wow,

That's all I can say.

Wow,

Rick Potter