Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new aqusition: The 1929 Oliver 88D Table saw with slider & consentric wheel

My new aqusition: The 1929 Oliver 88D Table saw with slider & consentric wheel

I have been corresponding with the owner of this 1929 Oliver 88D Concentric wheels adjustment and the sliding table. When I got there to look her over I was impressed with the excellent condition of the table and the functions. She's going to get the bath, as soon as I finish the 1927 American 16"buzz jointer and the 1934 117A band saw.

Just glad to get her home, Dave was a decent guy, had a 24" Porter jointer, 36" American WWM bandsaw and a 36" Tannawitz , also bunch of other machinery. He hated to let her go and I could tell but he is trying to get some funds together for a patent device... what it is... he couldn't say. I promised to stay in touch with him and also the updates of the 88 restoration when ever I get to her...

She's a beauty and a beast.... weighs in at a little over a ton......just glad it's over and in my garage resting untill I can get to the restoration.... working on an American 16" #1 "Buzz" jointer.....

These are the original pictures taken by the owner (Dave) of the 88D

B,
    Attached Images Attached Images

some more pictures...

B,

The Trip To PA.... and back in Bufffalo.....

B,

some more...

B,

More pics of the trip back home...

B,

Last pictures of the Oliver 88D in the back of the F-250 and resting in my garage......

B,

Wow Brian, that is an impressive piece of equipment!! Very nice condition also. What is the HP and phase of the saw? Is the slider smooth and tight fitting? Hard to imagine a quality slider that was made that long ago!!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Congrats Brian, that is a beast. You must have a strong concrete pad to support all that iron!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice score, Brian. It doesn't look like it's missing anything. You seem to be about due for a video shop tour, I'm thinkin.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Brian, Great old saw. When you can still see the planer marks on the table it has been loved and not abused. Those old machines had so much adjustability built into them I'm sure you can get the table as exact as a new Felder. Oliver saws are the pick of the litter along with Tanny and a few others. 1929 will be ball bearings and a huge 5 hp motor. Looks like you got the fence and miter gauge that sell separately for as much as the saw. People who have used the center mounted fences swear by them. Moving the table sideways to allow for dados up to about 2" wide is pretty cool too. Contact Rich Fink and you can get the original manual for the machine as well as a copy of the original sale invoice. Probably sold for a few hundred back then. Dave

Brain
    Great Old Iron. I used a Oliver dual blade TS in collage (WWII surplus) great saw. How difficult is the fence to reposition and adjust on your new Oliver? Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 09-23-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks guys...
    It is a 5hp/3ph 220V original motor....
    My shop floor is not concrete, framed "beefy",and it's solid, it better be, there will be a little over 14,000 lbs of Arn in my shop..after the 88 is restored and planted on the shop floor,the 88 weighs in at 2,183 lbs
    I know all about Rich F....thanks........
    The saw you are referring to with the dual arbors is a 260D... I was so close to getting a "full" 260 but because of distance lost it over $100.00, Bill Kerfoot...the machine man swooped her ,,, it's all good.... things happen for a reason and this 88D is an extremely rare Oliver model... they only made them for 2 - 3 years... very narrow production window.

I am an Oliver (older -original Oliver) fanatic.... they were and still are considered the Cadillac of WW equipment. There is nothing that needs adjustment on her tried her out when I got there to pick her up. The slider is as smooth as a ball bearing bathed in oil, 1 finger.... she really is a dream saw....IMPO....

When I get around to the restoration I will have a vast amount of pictures and I will throw them up here....it's going to be a while... working on the American 16" jointer , when I get the chance....LOL work comes first.

Thanks gents....

B,

Red face

I was doing some research on my Oliver 88D and found this while perusing the net:

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lot...=12180&flash=0

Now I know the third owner of this saw- Durawood Products Inc. Denver,PA.... I am going to give a them a call and see where they bought it from, I am trying to get as much information about her as possible.

B,
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 02-03-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    ? Hard to imagine a quality slider that was made that long ago!!!
    Wilhelm Altendorf invented the slider in 1906, they're a lot older than most people expect..............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Wilhelm Altendorf invented the slider in 1906, they're a lot older than most people expect..............Rod.
    Good to know Rod, I'd have NEVER guessed a sliding table saw to be over 100 years old.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.