Thread: butcher block and powder post beatles

Blog Entries

butcher block and powder post beatles

Well, my old barn is no stranger to powder post beatles, we treat and they go/return over time. I've just sort of learned to live with it and have resigned to the idea that storing lumber in the barn isn't in my future.

Anyways, I got a butcher block slab on craigs list yesterday. It's 2" thick x 30" wide x 6 feet long, complete with steel legs. Maple. I plan to use it for my assembly table, it's very nice and flat and heavy as can be.

On the underside, I noticed only after getting it home, I find dust and a few holes, which makes me think it may have (or have had) beates before.

My plan is to clean up the table, sand it, and then seal it on all 4 sides with several coats of poly. Will this basically suffocate the little buggers?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

The holes you will be sealing are their emergence holes of a previous crop of pp beetles. They are long gone. Several coats of poly will discourage future egg laying although their is a chance that some larva could be in the wood and emerge later. Heat treating is the best method to kill powder post and other wood boring critters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If you first don't succeed, TRY, TRY AGAIN...

Blog Entries
    Is there a DIY method to heat treating that I could try at home? Or would it entail bringing the butcher block someplace else?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Put it in yer car...windows up, and in the sun...if your weather is even close to mine the little beggars will be toast in a couple of days. I have heat treated wood in just such a manner. a little twist is all I got.
    Mick