Thread: Informal poll question...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Will turn 63 this December, and I inherited a Shopsmith from my grandfather in the 1980's and the lathe accessories lay dormant for years. The "system" included some lightweight faceplates and cheap chisels. I have used that five-in-one machine and other garage workshop tools for 30 years to build cabinets and cases, so I'm hardly a novice at woodworking, but I didn't do much turning except the occasional spindle. Couldn't sleep one night in 1998 and went to the garage to work out my frustration, and mounted up a small piece of curly maple and started making sawdust. I cut the entire thing using a skew chisel, mostly getting a finish via sandpaper.

[I should interject, that the Shopsmith is a horrible woodturning lathe. Runs too fast and doesn't have enough weight, but somehow those first few bowls turned out okay.]

Like the others, I'm essentially self-taught, but since I moved to Puget Sound where turners abound I have picked up lots of tips watching the other guys turn. The local Olympic Peninsula Woodturners here include some absolutely wonderful and talented craftsmen, and just listening to them has advanced my skillset. In my case, the biggest advances have more to do with the equipment; a better lathe with greater variable speeds (especially lower speeds, for larger irregular blanks), a sophisticated sharpening station, and refining my finishes have taken me to a point where I'm shown in several galleries. It has been a long, satisfying journey.

If my son were to catch the turning fever -- I think he will, eventually -- my advice will be purchase the best available machinery and to READ/VIEW EVERYTHING he can get his hands on. The biggest deal in chasing the learning curve, I think, is to simply try every possible technique and every type of turning, and don't be afraid to fail.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I'm 61, started turning in 1998 doing mostly pens. I have done a few larger pieces, a few baseball bats and some small vases. Would really like to get into bowls someday but I would never have the patience to do the HF pieces I see on this forum. I still make a few pens but not as many as I used to. I have 4 lathes -- 2 Sherlines for pens, a JET mini and a large Craftsman. Should get rid of at least 2 but I love my tools.

Started a laser business 2 years ago after becoming unemployed for the first time in my life. Have been laser engraving for 12 years. Was a printer before that for about 20 years.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Will turn 63 this December, and I inherited a Shopsmith from my grandfather in the 1980's and the lathe accessories lay dormant for years. The "system" included some lightweight faceplates and cheap chisels. I have used that five-in-one machine and other garage workshop tools for 30 years to build cabinets and cases, so I'm hardly a novice at woodworking, but I didn't do much turning except the occasional spindle. Couldn't sleep one night in 1998 and went to the garage to work out my frustration, and mounted up a small piece of curly maple and started making sawdust. I cut the entire thing using a skew chisel, mostly getting a finish via sandpaper.

[I should interject, that the Shopsmith is a horrible woodturning lathe. Runs too fast and doesn't have enough weight, but somehow those first few bowls turned out okay.]

Like the others, I'm essentially self-taught, but since I moved to Puget Sound where turners abound I have picked up lots of tips watching the other guys turn. The local Olympic Peninsula Woodturners here include some absolutely wonderful and talented craftsmen, and just listening to them has advanced my skillset. In my case, the biggest advances have more to do with the equipment; a better lathe with greater variable speeds (especially lower speeds, for larger irregular blanks), a sophisticated sharpening station, and refining my finishes have taken me to a point where I'm shown in several galleries. It has been a long, satisfying journey.

If my son were to catch the turning fever -- I think he will, eventually -- my advice will be purchase the best available machinery and to READ/VIEW EVERYTHING he can get his hands on. The biggest deal in chasing the learning curve, I think, is to simply try every possible technique and every type of turning, and don't be afraid to fail.
    Adding a postscript to my previous post, because it seems one of the themes here is the progression of equipment:

After the aforementioned Shopsmith, I purchased a very lightweight copy-lathe for $225. Turning on that was like trying to herd cats. So I sold that for $300 (kept some of the tools that came with it) and bought a new Shop Fox 1758 for about $525. I was unhappy with the Shop Fox because it would not go to lower speeds for the large irregulars I do, but also because both the tailstock and tool rest broke easily. Being the wheeler-dealer I am, I sold that for $500 after 18 months and bought my current machine, a slightly used Jet 1442, for $550. Very, very happy with this machine because it has the required variable speed and the head pivots for platter work.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 09-22-2011 at 7:24 PM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I am 49 and started turning a year and a half. I started with the Jet 1642 1 1/2 hp lathe. It has been a blast so far, when I get the chance. However, it has been just a year in termoil, so I havent turned as much as I wanted. I do have a family in logging and a good source of wood when they are in hardwood.

I decided to start turning because the cabinet hobby was too slow. Turning really gets brings out the artist even in an engineer.

Thanks to Steve Schlumpf and Norm Hefke from the Superiorland turners club; they gave me a good start. I need to get back to the meetings again. Like I said, it has been a year of termoil and I havent had much time to devote to turning or meetings.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 09-22-2011 at 7:24 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author