Thread: Variable speed router controller for old bench grinder, work ?

Variable speed router controller for old bench grinder, work ?

The job i work at tossed this bench grinder a while back, it had stones on both sides.
    Id like to make it variable speed if possible (or just two speed) so i can grind tools easier with out them heating up or having to dip them in water while sharpening. The "quick and eazy" way out i thought might be a speed controller for a router.

Heres two pics, as you can see its old and the name plate is not readable, but i thought... maybe if someone is familuare they would beable to name it by the color of the writing.

Thanks for any help.

DCP_1136.jpgDCP_1137.jpg

Are the wheels good? If not, why not just get a white friable wheel. I have one on my grinder, it takes longer to grind, but does keep the metal from overheating.

Hi Joe, no you cannot use arouter speed control on an induction motor............Rod.

I changed the left one to wire wheel a while back (forget why i needed the wire wheel), the stone on the right needs to be dressed, but both stones are in pretty good shape. Replacing one of the wheels is part of the plan. I would like to have a rough stone on one side and a finer one on the other, gonna use the grinder to sharpen wood lathe tools. I would like to have it spin slower. The bearings "need" (not completely shot, but noise) to be replaced (dont know how much thats gonna cost) so i thought i would look into the speed controller. The speed controller im looking at (a Grizzly or MLCS) will run about 30-35 bucks - bearings around 20 bucks ??? Amazon has a DELTA GR275 for $100 so i might just get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Joe, no you cannot use arouter speed control on an induction motor............Rod.
    Thanks for the disappointing post, lol
    Looks like a new grinder is the next step and this one will get tossed in the shed to sharpen lawn mower blades.

Thanks for the induction motor info, Rod.

_

+1 on what Rod said.. it will only work on a universal motor.. Induction motors which are single phase are not variable.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Induction motors which are single phase are not variable.
    Taken as a blanket statement, that is not true. There are many single phase variable speed induction motors available.
    Woodcraft VS Grinder.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney