Thread: adhesive ruler for table saw fence with 1/32" markings?

adhesive ruler for table saw fence with 1/32" markings?

Hey everyone.
    I recently aquired a very old used unifence. I got everything mounted on my saw but I'm looking to purchase a new plastic indicator and a adhesive ruler for the fence. It's a 50". I'm trying to find one that has 1/32" marking along the entire length not just the first 12" which is how most of them are. any help?
    thanks, brett g.

Blog Entries
    No source for your desired tape that I am aware of. Once I started shooting for that level of accuracy from my tablesaw, I went with a DRO. Love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mcmaster carr should have some. Dave

According to Starrett's own catalog, their tapes only have 1/32" markings for the first 12 inches.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When I wanted a decimal-inch measuring tape for my tablesaw, I could not find one. I eventually bought a 36" machinists rule, which did the job for me. I stuck it down with carpet tape. You can do the same to get 1/32" for the whole tape. Look at Enco or any site catering to machinists.

Very easy to split 1/16ths by eye.

You might contact some of the folks who have the extended capability Grizzly, Jet or other such saws. My Rigid TS3650 has 32nds to the end of the tape but it's only 36" long.

PM Jim O'Dell here. If I remember correctly he has a Grizzly with an extended table capability.

A replacement tape from one of the saw manufacturers would do it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I can't find a link on their site, but the I believe the Incra rules have what you need. There must be some way to order the rules since it would be so easy to mess one up. Same thing for the templete book, they sell replacements for that because if your's gets a little damp all the pages fuse together, DAMHIK.

Brett, I will check mine tonite on the 1/32" scale. Quite sure it is the same the length of itself. Strange how I use it all the time for accurate measuring, but can't remember the scale of it. Anyhow, you will probably find a source before I answer back. Mine is a King Canada 50" variety and it should be no problem to get from them. In fact , I can give a source if needed. Greg

The biggest choice possible can be found at www.oregonrule.com . Many of the products are flexible, have adhesive backing, and yet are as tough as Teflon.

The rule on my Paralock has a vernier pointer, so I get 1/64" accuracy with a 1/16" scale. My scale also has 32's to 12".

Just checked when I got home. Appears my King one wasn't bad at all. Done in 1/32" increments up to 55". For most of us I guess, 50" is sufficient. Some people might drool over an extra 5" for an extension table.

What's the rationale? Most woods will swell/shrink well over 1/32 in the course of a year, especially those over 12" wide. I too think that you can split 16ths within a couple hundredths by eye. I'm not advocating for sloppy joinery, but there will be other variables that would more than offset any accuracy you stand to gain with the tape. At that point blade runout, fence straightness/flatness and holding techniques could very well overcome that 32nd that you so carefully adjusted the fence to.

Ryan

The first class handmade furniture hand made in the Anthony Hay cabinet shop in Colonial Williamsburg,is made with reproduction 18th.C. bi-fold rules that Jon and I made as toolmakers. They are also over 1/8" thick,and are only graduated down to 1/8ths. Talk about maximum opportunity for parallax errors! Further,the grads do not go all the way to the edges. There is a scribe line over 1/32" from the edge of the rules where they stop! I mean,they are worse than old wooden dime store rules for practical use. They are authentic copies of an original,though. The craftsmen do perfectly accurate work with them.

Not that I advocate such coarsely graduated rules,though. I'm just pointing out that the eye can accurately divide fractions with a little training.