Thread: satin rather than gloss finish on rosewood

satin rather than gloss finish on rosewood

I've completed my first guitar, a classical, except for doing the finish. I want to french polish it, but I want the finish to be a satin finish rather than a high gloss finish. I'd like some tips on the best way to go at that.

Blog Entries
    First off welcome to the forum.

Second, congratulations on your first build... I started building ukuleles about 3/4 months ago and I am working on my 4th and 5th right now and have 4 more to build as they have been commissions.

As for French polish I think the point is to be glossy... are the sides and backs of classical guitars usually French polished, or even shellacked? If so I think it would be relatively easy to brush the sides and back and then rub to a satin finish, no need to French polish, then you could French polish the top to a high gloss and I think the combination would be very nice... If you want a more durable finish on the sides and back you could always go with varnish or Lacquer.

I hope that helps to some degree.

Ooh its impolite to not post pics
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I personally wouldn't do a French polish if I was shooting for a satin finish. I forget what Martin's finishing schedule is for their satin finishes. I'll see if I can dig something up somewhere.

finish polish it then rub it out gently with a fine natural wool?, the same you might have used for the padding, (or your wife for a pillow filling). i hear players refer to what your seeking as a 'stage finish'- easier on the audiences' eyes.

I hate it when people dont answer the question and offer opinions instead but here goes. I play classical guitar.......some. Have four. Also a 50 year old Martin D-28. Personally, I think a well made handsome guitar must shine. Never got Martin using the matte finish. If I'm not too late.....give it a lot of thought.
    Last edited by John Powers; 09-24-2011 at 6:21 PM.