Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sawstop fence any good

Maybe I have too large of a gap at the front where it slides? It's straight when it's locked in, but when I reposition it, it always shifts a bit.

2. I just set up my new SS fence yesterday. The face of the fence actually is undulating! What crap! Was thinking alum extrusion, but didn't think that it might not be stiff enough. Maybe I'll just follow Glen's lead and build a fence face out of MDF.

T-glide fence is the best I've ever used. Better than USA-made Biesemeyer and Shop Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly logan View Post
    Are the sawstop fences accurate?
    or do they drift?
    how accurate are they?

I do a lot of fine box work

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post
    I just set up my new SS fence yesterday. The face of the fence actually is undulating! What crap! Was thinking alum extrusion, but didn't think that it might not be stiff enough. Maybe I'll just follow Glen's lead and build a fence face out of MDF.
    Is it always a depression or does it protrude? The manual does caution that if you over tighten the screws it could cause slight concavity on the plates. If it is always a depression, then I would use it. The wood would just pass over without a problem. If it is protruding, that's a problem.
    I would think that they would not intentionally make a wavy fence plate.........

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I have a early (2005,2006?) ICS and the Sawstop fence that came with it is frustrating. It may be adjusted improperly. Every time I tighten the fence down, it moves a bit making it difficult to set to a specific width. Any ideas?
    I don’t have a sawstop, but on the Jet fence there were pieces of UHMW plastic that on each end of the T where it clamped to the rail and on the clamp. On my 2001 those had started to wear and the adhesive had allowed them to slip so they were only partially where the clamping applied pressure, so the alignment wasn’t consistent. There’s a thread discussing this, but I got some new UHMW from Grainger, removed the old with a heat gun, and put on new pads. Like a new fence.

I don’t know if sawstop fences have the same parts on the T but if you’re not getting the fence to reset in a consistent position, I would look at those pressure pointson the T to see if there’s something wrong there.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for the insight. I will look at my UHMW pads and see if they are worn. Cheers, bob

I contacted Sawstop and here was their response:
    Hi Bob,I got your message about the fence.To combat or fix this issue involves a technique.TO stop the fence from moving when locking it down into place. You’ll want to pull on the lever that locks the fence into place by pulling it towards you while you are locking the fence. This is what I do and it stop the fence from moving once I got it where I want It to be.
    Let me know if this doesn’t make sense, or doesn’t work for you.Best regards,SawStop Customer Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I contacted Sawstop and here was their response:
    Hi Bob,I got your message about the fence.To combat or fix this issue involves a technique.TO stop the fence from moving when locking it down into place. You’ll want to pull on the lever that locks the fence into place by pulling it towards you while you are locking the fence. This is what I do and it stop the fence from moving once I got it where I want It to be.
    Let me know if this doesn’t make sense, or doesn’t work for you.Best regards,SawStop Customer Technical Support
    Same basic technique I use, make sure the fence is pulled back against the tube before locking.