Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Block front chest

Love it, very nice work.. Wouldn't imagine that Cherry is too easy to find in Colorado, is it?

Cherry is easy enough to find around here, most any hardwood supplier sells it, but what we get out here is mostly just your basic common or select grades though. Anything figured or otherwise visually interesting is pretty rare, if not nearly impossible to find locally.

It's not the cheapest wood by any means. I generally see select 4/4 selling for somewhere around $7/bf.

I got lucky a couple years ago in finding the wormy stuff I used. I bought about 70 bf of it just because it was special and unlikely that I'd ever see any of it again!

Incredible job, I love the attention to detail and the finish is awesome. Gives me some inspiration to get back to my shop!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Really beautiful piece and fine workmanship. This chest is on my bucket list of projects for the future.
    Brett, +1 to the above comments -you did a super impressive job and the chest is a piece anyone would be glad to have in their home! Any suggestions for plans or rough dimensions for someone like me who would love to aspire to giving this piece a try?

Regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Brett, +1 to the above comments -you did a super impressive job and the chest is a piece anyone would be glad to have in their home! Any suggestions for plans or rough dimensions for someone like me who would love to aspire to giving this piece a try?

Regards, Mike
    Mike, there is a similar project with the plans, cut list and mucho pics in "Glen Huey's Illustrated Guide to Building Period Furniture."
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Brett,

Very nice outcome. I really like the color achieved from your finish schedule. I also Shellac, sand and wax drawer boxes. If fit properly to the opening, they should almost fly open.

Thanks for sharing.

John

Outstanding looking piece!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Horrible! I think you should put it out at the curb, let me know when I can pick it up!

I appreciate your work and the best interior design and furniture are necessary for house different types of furniture. Decorating a room with different styles of furniture is given a new looking of your home.

My only complaint is that you have this awesome chest sitting over a heat register!

I don't think the brass is up to the quality of your woodworking, personally. I think a heavier brass set would work better given the ornate nature of the chest. Looks a little flat and plain to me. Personal opinion Might just be the flash photography making it look washed out and flat and it may look better in real life.

Brett, this is a very impressive piece. Your workmanship is first rate.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Nice piece. thanks for the pictures
    Charlie Jones

That is downright impressive. I am in the infancy of my woodworking development and could only hope to work towards being able to complete a project like that.