Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request: Your List of Shop Rules

Thumbs up Request: Your List of Shop Rules

I got a lot of good input via my Mechanix glove thread concerning glove safety. It occurs to me that it would be nice to hear more about the standard shop rules that Creekers follow. I did some searching on the Creek, and couldn't find any prior threads where lists were made all in one place, so I thought it would be good to start one.

Please post their lists here! Comment on other people's lists. Let's contribute to the shop safety for those around us by putting that together hear. Just think - you could be saving someones life, appendage, etc.

If the idea of this thread works, I will put together a final post bringing together the core ideas, with a link to the original thread. I'd call it Shop Rules for the Safety Concious Creeker.

Thank you for your time and patience.
    Paul Thompson, Ardmore OK

Now remember I have a wife and 9 year old son using the shop too.

1) No running
    2) Must have shoes on and not open toes
    3) No drink cups or cans near any cast iron! Keep them at the sink.
    4) Are you rested and awake? If not, LEAVE now while you still can.
    5) No loose fitting shirt or sleeves.
    6) Know each machine before using it.
    7) Ask permission first (doesn't apply to my wife)
    8) NO NOT LEND ANYTHING.
    9) Always do your best! (taken from Cub Scouts)
    10) Clean up your mess, the maid was fired.
    11) Eye protection

To Ed's list I would add "Hearing Protection" 'cause mine is already shot.
    Also, I have a master switch for machine outlets - it goes off everytime I leave the shop (er, garage) and lastly - check fingers - I check to see where my fingers really are before every cut, or movement with a machine. So far, I still have ten and plan on keeping it that way.
    One more thing, put it back where you found it - it is a pleasure to be able to put your hands on a tool when you want it rather than searching through saw dust and cutoffs -
    Last edited by Ray Bersch; 02-23-2005 at 6:33 PM. Reason: add item
    Semper Fi

Same as above with the following iron clad rule, If you have had anything alcoholic to drink don't even open the door.

Same as above with the following iron clad rule, If you have had anything alcoholic to drink don't even open the door.
    As i sit here sipping on a "I'm on vacation, as of tonight" sized manhattan...thats my main rule too. I won't turn on a tool if i've even had a beer.

I like others demand eye protection from ANYONE who enters, no alcohol, hearing protection, respiratory protection if warranted, closed toed shoes are a must, wear comfortable clothing, preferrably short sleeves weather permitting, if it ain't being used unplug it, etc. etc.

In addition to what has already been said here are a few that I like to remind my neighbors, friends, and some relatives for their own personal well being. These are especially important to all who enter my shop so pay attention and I won't mind if you need to copy any or all of them to suit your needs. In order of importance as follows:
    1. Don't ask to borrow any tools.
    2. Don't ask to borrow my truck.
    3. Don't ask to borrow my wife.

That pretty much sums it up in Garage Mahal.

Good thread Paul - I suspect that we can all learn good stuff from this.

These are my first thoughts in no particular order

1 - Don't work tired
    2 - Use as much safety equipment as you can without interfering with the job in hand
    3 - Keep tools in good condition and blades and edges sharp
    4 - If it feels wrong it is wrong
    5 - Rehearse - Think things through before you do them - like a golfer visualizing his tee shot
    6 - Stop work for the day after the second stupid mistake in half an hour - the third one will cost you an injury
    7- If a task is hard work or difficult there is a better way to do it. Stop and think before you start working hard
    8 - The safety devices on tools are there for a reason. If you remove one make it because you are fitting a better alternative rather than because the first one gets your goat. If you have to remove one to complete the task make doubly sure that you are careful and replace it as soon as the task is done.
    9 - Don't work hungry. Low blood sugar reduces alertness. A snack stop might be the difference.
    10 - Everything has width - when your measuring or making a cutting list bear that in mind
    11 - Make the jig. If you have to do something more than once the time taken to make an appropriate jig will nearly always be paid back in spades.
    12 - No alcohol - at all - not even one
    13 - Don't get mad. If you make a mistake force yourself to a wry smile rather than a fit of pique. Angry will hurt you every time.
    14 - Project the cut line. Whatever you are doing be aware of where your body is in relation to the cut line and wherever possible stay clear of it.

I am always aware that my perspective as somebody who usually does this full time is different to somebody who does it for fun at the weekend. Most of the above are pretty much applicable for both groups.

The big one around here is..... Never ever ever talk to, touch or in any other way try to get my attention if i'm using any tools.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

"Let's take a minute to talk about shop safety" I just listen to Norm and repeat them in my head every few minutes

Only 2 main rules in my shop

1. Be alert at all times.

2. Be organized at all times.

All other rules can be categorized under one of these 2 rules.

The only thing I can add is

No smoking in the shop, last thing I want is my shop going up in smoke.

DC must be on when the tool is started (son works with me a lot)

Clean up and put the tools back where you found something.

Break something and you either bought it or you will replace it. It's rare...next to never...that I allow anyone to work in the shop, but a few times I have let WW's come in to use tools they do not have.

Do not tuch exposed wires with your tongue.

No using hot dogs on the table saw.

No loose or tight clothing

Do not cover your neighbor's work piece

No running in the halls and slaming lockers.

Do not put chewing gum on the bottom of tables.(only on top where it can be clearly seen)

No empty beer cans or full for that matter or the other mater

Dexter is not to use the belt sander or the planer...he can only use the bandsaw and jointer.

No Pizza on the tablesaw (this is a pretty new one...I was not aware of this one until a few days ago...please forgive me)

clean the floor to make it less slippery and remove long pieces of wood that will cause tripping

No silly posts on SMC
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 02-24-2005 at 12:01 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

So far there are a lot of good rules. Here are some of my adaptations.

1. There are guards on the tools for a reason. Don't even think of taking them off unless you are changing a blade or performing maintenance.
    2. Safety glasses are to be worn at all times, even when the tools are off.
    3. The shop shuts down at 6:30 pm, no exceptions.
    4. If I am kind enough to lend you my tools, I expect them to come back the way I gave them to you.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    No using hot dogs on the table saw.
    There has to be a story behind this...

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I would say that most of these are on my "unwritting" shop rules. The one that I enforce without question is eye protection is manditory for anyone in the shop...and mine go on at the beginning and don't come off until I'm done for the day...which is good because they also are my "cheaters" for close work. But the rule applies to everyone unless it's just a tour and conversation. If tools are in use...the specs go on and I have plenty of them available.

One of these days I'll have to develop more formal rules once we have kids...

I do like that "no hotdog on the table saw" rule, however...works for me!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...