Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lathe (Gloat)

New Lathe (Gloat)

Last Saturday, I went over to Albany, NY to the Harbor Freight Retail store. I wanted to look at their T34706 Variable speed lathe (it looked very similar to the Jet 1236 in their catalog and nearly 1/2 the price as well) to see if it was decent or just plain junk. Well, in my opinion it was decent and also was on sale for $188.95; so I bought it. Since I am an evening and weekend woodworker, it will fit my needs rather well. I bought the 2-year extended warranty as well, since the motors from China are always suspect.

Anyway, I assembled it on Sunday and with the day off Monday, I made 5 pens with it. I also tried out my new PSI scroll chuck and bottle stopper screw chuck and they run rather true on it, so I should have a good learning lathe to get started with. (A friend of mine has a vintage Delta lathe in storage that he said I can have for free [no motor] when we can get to the storage building later in hte spring)

Well, anyway, I know that HF gets a bad rap at times, but I think I did quite well to get a lathe that I can turn some bowls on for under $250.00 including the extended warranty and tax. I think I will enjoy this lathe (I know it isn't a Vega, Jet, Delta, Powermatic, Oneway or Stubby - but it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to figure out if I like to turn things other than pens or bottle stoppers either!) and if it turns out that I'd like to try bigger stuff it will give me an excuse to do more tool shopping!

Below are a couple of pictures of my new lathe!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kurt Aebi; 02-23-2005 at 4:12 PM.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Kurt,

Congrats on the lathe! It looks like you got yourself a good deal. The pens are proof that it will do the job well!

Even if you upgrade, it would still be nice to have the HF lathe around for pens and such.

Jeff

It's what I started on....

Do add as much weight to the base as you can if you plan on doing any non-spindle work...bowls and vessels can easily throw the machine around when you start out unbalanced. And one other thing, like all Reeves Drive (VS Pulley) systems, you cannot adjust the speed if the machine isn't running so be sure to remember to put it at the lowest speed at the end of the day so you don't have a "surprise" the next session.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats on the lathe, Kurt. Hope it serves you well.

Did you wave as you went through Center Brunswick, that's assuming you went via Route 7?
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Karl, I sure did wave - I hope those friends of your's saw me!

Traffic wasn't bad either. They have had Rt 7 tore up for about the last 4 years or so and it looks like they are pretty much finished. There is a new by-pass around Bennington. It takes off of US Rt 7 before bennington and cuts across to Hoosic. It makes it that you don't have to go through downtown Bennington anymore.
    Wood is Good!

Kurt

Kurt -

It makes the wood go 'round and you can piut a tool up to it. What else do you need.

Have you thought about adding a ballast box between the legs?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    you cannot adjust the speed if the machine isn't running so be sure to remember to put it at the lowest speed at the end of the day so you don't have a "surprise" the next session.
    Oh that's how come that happens
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Kurt,

Good luck with it. I had the 1236 and it's a very good lathe for the $ IMO.

Put a plywood shelf on those strechers and load it up with sand bags. I used the "tube" sand that walmart sells. 70lbs for about a buck fifty.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Nice score on the lathe. My friens has one and he is very happy with it. he does nice work and has had it for a few years now. He doesn't feel he's outgrown it at all. I wasn't aware that there is a HF store in Albany. Is it new?? Where is it? I'll have to take a ride.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Hi Kurt,

I am new to this forum as of today. I just ordered the same lathe from HF can't wait to get mine. Looks better than I thought it would. It looks like a dead ringer for the 1236 if you ask me. Hope you keep us updated as to how it does. More pic's would be nice. Have a good one. Barry

John, The store is new, it is on Rt 5 just off I-87 in Colonie. It is on the main drag a couple of miles towards Schenectady. The store is well stocked and the staff is rather friendly - in fact, they helped me pretty much disassemble the floor model to look at the inner workings before I bought it. If you go to the HF website you can check locations of their retail stores and get better directions.
    Wood is Good!

Kurt

There may be a few minor differences from the Jet 1236, but nothing major...after all this particular lathe design has been around for eons. Jet didn't invent it. The one I had was equipped with a slightly undersized tool rest base so the 6" rest I bought (a Jet coincidentally) wouldn't go in the hole. A few minutes with a file and sandpaper took care of that. I also had to replace a few fasteners and the bolt/handle you use to fix the toolrest height an orientation. Like any new tool, check things over carefully, including checking for the spindle to tailstock accuracy by putting your live center on the tailstock and a drive center in the spindle and bring them together. With the tailstock locked down, the points should meet "exactly". If not, you'll need to shim the headstock to fix it. (I don't recommend rotating the headstock ever on these machines, both for this alignment thing and because the machine is very lightweight)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well as far as turning goes I am as green as some of the wood used on bowl blanks. I have only been turning for about 8 months on a real cheap lathe. I ordered this lathe with the intention of turning some bowls. I also like to do rustic wood working so some of the raw wood can get a little heavy.

I am not sure what Kurt is going to do with his, but I plan on installing some 2x4 or 4x4 runners (depending on the height) then silicone them to the garage floor. I want to build a shelf in the middle and add some weight as in sand bags.

My concerns, as mine is still on order, is the structural integrity motor and quality of the bearings. I am sure they must have cut costs somewhere in building this lathe.

When I know this is something I will stick with over time. I will get into the 2,000 dollar + range….. Anyway thanks for the input it is very helpful. Is there anything else you notice that concerns you about this model? All info is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Barry Horner; 02-24-2005 at 9:46 AM.

I know right where it is. Hmmm....Honey we gotta take the kids to the see my brother in Albany!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Hi yall, new here. I have the same HF lathe, I bought it to turn ( try to turn) mostly
    bowls. I seem to have a problem with the motor coming to an almost stop with only light
    pressure trying to turn a 6" bowl. It took several hours to get it done. Anyone else with
    this lathe have this problem.