Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping turning tools handy?

Keeping turning tools handy?

What is your solution? I used to keep them on a bench, but they tended to roll around or get covered up with other stuff (especially those little tommy bars!) Then I thought about building some sort of cabinet to surround my Jet Mini stand, but that seemed like a big hassle. Out of desperation, I finally threw together a caddy out of a few odd scraps I had laying around. The blocks are attached with double sided tape so I could rearrange if need be. Not a very elegant soultion, but functional for the time being. Am interested in getting some ideas on what everyone else does to organize their tools and stuff within easy reach.

Carole,

Looks great! I thought the Performax extension table were for tool storage If I had the room, I'd love a set-up like yours.

John

Mine is very small, John, and light so I can move it around easily. That was one of my requirements since shop space is getting tight!

Looks like that will work, Carole. I am trying to come up with a plan as well, but I want to include more than just the basic tools. I am thinking about a top of the lathe table arrangement, but things just haven't jelled into a workable arrangement. I think I will need a bigger table.(-:
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Carole, that looks like it will work perfectly. Mine are stored in a stand up holder for the chisels and the rest is just thrown around on the bench. Yours looks much better!

Hi Carole,

My lathe is full sized so some of this might not work for you. The caddy that you built for your turning tools is similar to one that I built and attached to the stand for my lathe. That way, the tools I plan to use are only a step away.

As for those little tommy bars, hex keys, etc., a magnetic strip or rare earth magnets (from Lee Valley Tools) worked wonders for preventing them from getting lost. In addition, I purchased a strip of velcro (less than $5) and stuck to my lathe. Now, my most frequently used sanding materials are always close at hand. Hope this helps,

Matt

Magnets! How could I have forgotten about my Lee Valley rare earth magnets??? Duh! Thanks, Matthew.

Although I still don't have any decent solution for this, I will eventually get magnetic bars.

Stefan

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Here is what I have:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

See I toldya she was a pro!! Just kidding Carol. That's a pretty nifty way to keep your tools handy. By the way the pic police are demanding more pics of your shop

Very nice solution, Carole. Many folks use either a caddy as you've move to or a wall rack like Ken's. While I store my tools on a wall rack, the ones "in use" tend to be on my lathe somewhere or on the table (Festool MFT) which just happens to normally live to the right of my Stubby. I've also used my router table for this in the past. Whatever works!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The ferrous metal pieces go in a magnetic bowl that sits on the head stock. Gouges etc are placed vertically in a shelf sharp end down in a hole drilled to accept the tool. Calipers etc hang from hooks. This stuff that doesn't fit any of the foregoing rolls around/gets buried on a table.

That is just way too neat.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Here is what I have:
    Ken,

What's that big bar?
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Carole -

That looks like it will work just fine. Built my wife a rack just about like that. She puts it on the ways of the lathe to hold the tools currently in use. There is a cabinet below the lathe with drawers for the rest of the tools (not being used) and accessories.

Ted