Thread: Need Info on an old table saw attachment

Need Info on an old table saw attachment

Many years ago,I posessed some discs that were I believe called dado washers that were mounted on the motor shaft of a table saw. The discs were placed on the shaft before the blade was slid onto the shaft and the discs purpose was to cause the blade to rotate slightly out of vertical plane which in thurn would cause the kerf to be much wider than with the blade itself. The discs were approximately 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter and each disc had a flat side and the other side had an indexed and stepped configuration around the outer probably quarter inch of circumference. when these discs were placed with the stepped sides next to each other at a particular indexed point, the blade would run perpendicular to the table. But if the discs were rotated slightlly in opposite directions, both of the flat sides would become slightly out of parallel with each other causing the blade to run a little out of vertical plane causing the wider kerf.
    Has anyone else ever seen the gadgets or know where I could obtain a set?

Irby Vaughn, Olympia, WA

http://www.ernestbennett.co.uk/wobble.htm
    I
    believe Freud sells something similar.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Will it cut a flat bottom?

I once had Sears adjustable dado blade. Due to its design, it would not cut a flat bottom.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 08-29-2011 at 6:47 PM.

you can still buy dedicated wobble blades pretty cheap

wont due a great job on some finer quality wood or plywood but still work

you get what you pay for in dado blades
    stack dado more expensive
    double wobble dado cheap
    single wobble cheaper
    beveled washers cheapest
    Carpe Lignum

I never actually used the dado washers, but my mechanical mind tells me the wider the kerf the greater the curvature would be on the bottom. I also read about a Craftsman "wobble" blade rig which was actually 2 blades next to each other but a non-flat washer between them formed a slight wedge and created the dado kerf. A picture of the rig showed the blades nearly touching one another on one side and about a half inch apart 180 degrees across the blades. Most reviews said it's a waste of money because the blades would not remain in the same position when used and caused defects in the kerf. The washers I was referring to used only 1 blade and caused the "wobble" effect. Thanks for your input Ray..Irby Vaughn

Thanks, Phil--I pretty well got all the information I needed including yours..Irby Vaughn

When I first saw these many years ago I couln't figure out how to use them but later in life when I got a technical job and got into Trig and geometry, it all made sense.