Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LN Low Angle Block Plane or Veritas version

LN Low Angle Block Plane or Veritas version

I am about to take the plunge and get my first plane. I am looking at the LV/Veritas low angle block plane or the LN low angle block plane. Anyone here ever compare the two? The LV seems to be on back order but I can get the LN locally anything particular features set one above the other. I have heard that they are both pretty highly regarded, so I do not think that either one is a bad choice. Just want to get your opinions.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I have the LN 102 and their 60 1/2...both low angle. I love them both!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I can't give you a comparison. I only have the LN and I love it. If you do end up going with LN, check this site out before you buy. They've got the lowest LN prices I've been able to find.
    http://www.finetoolj.com/ln/home.html
    Use the fence Luke

I have the same two LN block planes that mark does. They are fantastic tools.
    On the other hand, I have never heard anything remotely critical (besides appearance, which some don't like) about the Veritas tools. But, I can't compare.

Tom

Michael,

I actually don't own a LN LA Block, but I have a 103, and several bench planes. LN's in general are joy to own and use. I have both a 102 and a 60-1/2 on my list. I've handled the Veritas, and they are nice and a very good value, but the LN's are just wonderful. I don't think you can go wrong, but if it were me I would pay a bit more for the LN. I have several Veritas shoulder planes and scrapers and feel they make a quality product.

John

P.S. Fine Tool Journal is an excellent source for LN planes...

Afraid I can't give a comparison, either. BUT, the LN is near and dear to my heart, as the 102 was my first real hand plane purchase. I have a couple LV's and they too are fine planes, but there's just something about those LN's!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have not tried the Veritas either but both will serve you well.
    I have the LN 102 and its a great little tool.
    Last edited by Corvin Alstot; 06-17-2006 at 4:20 PM.

I have the LN LowAngle Adjustable Mouth Block plane and it's fantastic. I have a bunch of other LN planes but that one gets used the most. It's also a very rugged plane, I've droped mine a couple of times on to concrete and it's survived. It's a great plane at an OK price.

I have the LN low angle adjustable mouth block plane and wouldn't give it up for twice the price I paid for it!! But the LV has a lot of good comments and is also worthy of consideration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow, Seems like everyone loves their LN planes... So anyone out there have a LV/Veritas version, looks like the LV is getting beaten up. I did not mention this but I am looking for the 60 1/2 version from either company.

The 60 1/2 LN is a classic....almost every furniture maker , Finish carpenter,I know locally here has one!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

lone man out

Ok Michael, I'll be the odd ball here, I use the LV and have been quite pleased with it, and theres no doubt the bronze beauties are nice, but if someone wanted to trade plane for plane I'd keep mine because it's what I'm use to.

Bottom line, there is no right answer, you can't go wrong with either one. If your the type of guy that has to have matching planes from the same manufacture than go with the LN they have a wider selection for your future purchases because THERE will be FUTURE PURCHASES!!
    BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

I have the Lee Valley Veritas low angle block plane with the adjustable throat and frankly I wouldn't trade it for the pretty bronze ones. I am sure they are excellent planes but I suspect that they are at the end of the day no better than the Lee Valley.

It comes down to what do you want personally, I have used my poor little Veritas for everything under the sun and it always delivers, I cannot say enough good about it, and there is of course a bit of a discrepancy in the price as well.

I am sure whatever you buy you will like it very much but the Veritas deserves serious consideration.

I should add to all you other lads I sent an E-Mail to Lee VAlley yesterday asking about their Primus scrub plane, I did not want to buy it if they in fact are coming out with a Veritas scrub plane in the near future. They answered me today and said they are indeed bringing out a scrub plane sometime this year but they were unable to give a firm date or price yet, there is something else a lot of you will just have to have.

Hey James,

Thanks for the heads up on the scrub plane!
    BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

Another vote for the Lee Valley. I have both the LA block plane and the 'apron plane.' I like them both. For about the price of one LN, you can buy them both, too.