Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper speed?

I usually make 2-10 doors per week.

No worries then, IMO.
    JR

Michael, Let us know how those cutters hold up. I've always wondered as they are reasonably priced. Dave

will do, but J.R can tell you better, It was reading his older posts that convinced me to get them in the first place other wise I would never have even considered a Grizzly cutter.

Thanks from here too guys, and to Rod for his list - a very informative discussion of the factors determining correct feeds and speeds. I've just fired up a Hammer F3 but have to do some careful studying of the 'Spindle Moulder Handbook (Eric Stephenson)' to do before going any further.

ian

I am happy with the Grizzly 5-wing cutters that I still use. I have gone to either Freeborn or custom Misenheimer insert heads for panel and cope/stick profiles, but still use the brazed 5-wing for some door edge details that don't get run frequently. I will admit to running a pocket screwed oven trim face frame through where the edge profile caught the screw tips. The only result was a tiny nick and very faint lines on the finished part. As Rod demonstrated, these cutters can handle production feed rates if you have the power to support that. Only downside is limited profiles and extra sharpening cost when they do finally get dull.
    JR

7. Tightening belt

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Unless you will be running 1000's of feet, then you should be fine. Glad the belt tightening worked - easy solution!
    Thanks this helped me as well. I tightened the belt and my shaper stopped getting bogged down.

Jeff