Thread: FWW workshop article on lighting (lithonia software)

FWW workshop article on lighting (lithonia software)

I've got an article on lighting by FWW and the author references some software on the Lithonia web site that will tell you lighting fixture spacing, etc. I can't seem to find that software anywhere on the site and was wondering if any of you knew where it was. not sure how useful it is but i wouldn't mind trying it out.
    Bob C

Bob,

I use the pro version of this, but there is a free version here that should help. Look at visual in the first link. The second takes you to the free download page.

http://www.lithonia.com/resources.html

http://www.visual-3d.com/Software/Basic/Default.aspx
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 09-01-2011 at 9:01 PM.

I have used an online tool that I found on the lightolier.com site to help design the lighting in my house. The program is called CalcZone. The easiest way to use this program is to find a lightolier fixture that is similar to what you want to use, and to modify the setting in the CalcZone program to your specific fixture. Being a lighting newbie, I found the book Residential Lighting - A Practical Guide​, by Randall Whitehead, an excellent reference.

David/Ted thanks much. The reason i'd like to use the lithonia one is that the florescent fixutres are so prevelent at Lowes/HD. my goal is to start the electrical rough out this weekend/holiday so i need to get a sense of spacing and number. I'm sure i'll have more questions to follow.
    Bob C

I installed and played with the calculator. Guess it is a good tool if you have a blank slate, but I have to work around garage doors. Guess I'm going to try and hang a bank to the outside of each garage door, run a column of two units between the garage doors, and run a row of three or four units at right angles to that column beyond the garage doors raised positions.

Jerome,
    Are you saying your garage doors are so close to the ceiling when open that there is no room for fixtures? If so, perhaps fixtures recessed into the rafters would work.

Not at all, in fact my shop ceilings are so high you could play basketball in there. But I'm in Trussville, Alabama and it's so hot that almost anytime I'm in the shop, I have the garage doors open and I didn't see any reason to illuminate the area between the doors and ceiling .

But on the other hand, I did end up with some extra fixtures, I have to rent a lifter to do these installs, and bulbs are cheap. I may mount a bank a little higher over each of the garage doors for more light when the doors are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Jerome,
    Are you saying your garage doors are so close to the ceiling when open that there is no room for fixtures? If so, perhaps fixtures recessed into the rafters would work.