Thread: Need information about this saw

Need information about this saw

Came into this saw last weekend and not sure what I have. There is no medallion and, obviously, I haven't begun to clean it up. Handle is wood but I don't know yet what type. Kind of looks like a hacksaw but it is somewhat larger than what we see today. Does anyone have any idea about this saw? Blade has 11 tpi

IMG_0707.jpgIMG_0706.jpgIMG_0705.jpg

Thanks

Herb
    Last edited by Herb Smith; 08-23-2011 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Add information

Looks like a vintage hacksaw from the days before plastic.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Herb,
    That is a butcher's saw. If you clean the rust off the frame at the top center often a makers mark is stamped in the metal there.
    David

That's the same style as a meatcutter's bone saw. Most farms had them around for hog butchering time.

Greg

Work had some power hacksaws, one of which took longer blades - which might be a workable source for replacement blades, if that's the ultimate goal here...

A maker's mark - like a symbol or letter? Or did you mean that the name of the manufacturer might be stamped there? There is no manufacturer's name stamped, but there could be a symbol or letter (will know more after further cleaning). If a symbol, is there anywhere that I can go to cross reference the symbol to a manufacturer? Thanks for your help.

Hardware stores used to carry blade stock for those meatsaws in bulk rolls, I got some from the hdwe store across the alley, but it needed refiling before it would cut wood decently.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand