Thread: Earthquake in Hampton Roads

Earthquake in Hampton Roads

Just had a nice roller here in Yorktown. Thought I was back in Alaska. Update. News said 5.8 outside DC. That will shake things up.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 08-23-2011 at 2:02 PM.

Felt a little jiggle up here in WPA. Not much, though. (apparently several places around here evacuated, anyway).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 08-23-2011 at 2:55 PM.

I was standing with my head down writing something. It totally messed up my equalibrium and I almost fell over. I thought I was having a stroke. Total Red Foxx moment. "I'm coming 'Lizbeth...". LOL.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 08-23-2011 at 2:56 PM.

5.9 magnitude centered 4 miles from Louisa, VA.

Louisa is about 85 miles from DC. About 25 miles West of I-95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I was standing with my head down writing something. It totally messed up my equalibrium and I almost fell over. I thought I was having a stroke. Total Red Foxx moment. "I'm coming 'Lizbeth...". LOL.

Funny, that was exactly my experience here in Toronto, untill I looked at the mug of tea on my desk and realised that the desk was moving......Rod.

i was watching cnbc, looked outside, thought maybe a tree had come down, no wind, about 10 minutes later they announced it on tv, they said the center was mineral, va. that was my first, hope there are no after shocks.

Blog Entries
    It was a pretty good shake. I'd say 5 to 10 seconds. You could hear the ductwork above the ceiling rattling around.

They evacuated our building for just a few minutes.

We were more surprised than anything.

No one hurt and dosent seem to be any damage to our building.

PHM

I was sitting in a meeting on the ground floor, cement flooring. Our initial thought was that it was the construction happening outside the building, and I didn't know until I got back to my office (different building) that it was an earthquake. They evacuated all of our buildings until further notice, so I called it an early day and came home. This was the second quake that I've been through, overall feeling of 'yawn', much ado about little.

Blog Entries
    West Chester PA here, felt it pretty strongly in our office building. It totally messed with my equilibrium as well. Still feeling sort of weird, as if I just got off a roller coaster.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I didn't even notice. I was out running errands over a very late lunch break. I was probably in the car at the time.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-23-2011 at 5:30 PM. Reason: Removed political comment

I am in Charlottesville for some training and we felt it pretty good. I have never been in an earthquake before.

CNN and Yahoo are both reporting that it disrupted a press conference. Oh the humanity!

Edit: And they are trying to make a news story out of the fact that the nuclear plant Keith worked at shut down automatically.

That said, it sounds like there was some actual damage. Not something you expect to hear about the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    CNN and Yahoo are both reporting that it disrupted a press conference. Oh the humanity!
    I thought the same thing. I'm in Richmond, so only 25-30 miles from it, was driving at the time and didn't know anything happened. I started listening to the news later and I heard "A pipe in the Pentagon broke but they shut the water off and it's all okay now".

Gee, a earthquake, 1 broken water pipe inside a building, which they cut off, and THAT'S the headline news? Wow....is all I can say

When a pipe in my house broke, it didn't make the news
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I definitely felt it here. When it started, my initial thought was "It's an earthquake" and then my second thought was "There aren't earthquakes in Virginia! It's from the construction going on next to my building." But it kept going and made me feel nostalgic for California.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Nominated in the best use in the social media category, from this local store's Facebook posting:
    Who felt the earthquake yesterday? Too shook-up to cook? Pick up a fresh 'heat and serve' entree and sides from The Andersons Deli.