Thread: Your Experience with the 14.4 Dewalt Hammer Drill and Saw combo

Question Your Experience with the 14.4 Dewalt Hammer Drill and Saw combo

I need a little help from the experienced. First, I do not use my tools
    as a professional. I do home repair and hobbyist wood working type projects.
    A few weeks ago, I got in on the 12V Rigid drill deal from HD for $69. It was
    a regular $159 drill. Case, drill, two batteries and charger were included.
    I pretty much purchased this for the deal, because I have a nice Makita
    18V drill. I have never used this drill, other than to put the battery into
    it and pull the trigger.

Here is the deal. Lowe's had the Dewalt 14.4 hammer drill and circular saw
    combo priced at $169 today. I figure if I return the Rigid drill, I am getting
    a more powerful drill, plus it is a hammer drill and I am also getting a cordless
    circular saw for $100 additional.

I don't need three cordless drills, so either the Dewalt Combo or the Rigid drill
    are going back to the store.

For those of you who have the Dewalt combo I just purchased, what is your
    opinion? Is it a good, dependable tool? I won't be using it often, do you have
    an idea of the useful life of the 14.4V batteries?

Thanks in advance...

Hokie

Hokie,

I do not have the hammer-regular combo 14.4 drill, but I do have a Dewalt 14.4v cordless drill. I REALLY like it. It is light enough that it isn't a lot of work to use all day, but still powerful. I have two other 18v cordless drills. There is a big difference in power, but I use the 14.4 for lighter tasks. For example, drilling 1inch holes in treated lumber is not the task for the 14.4, it is the 18v's job.

As far as the Circ saw goes, they are okay at 14.4v, they will do the job, but 18v is much nicer for the circ saw. My dad has the 14.4v dewalt circular saw, it will cross cut 2x lumber if it needs to, but it certaintly is more of a convience for one or two cuts, than an all day cutter. The 18v I have will run much longer with more power.

All in all, I would say you would be well served by the 14.4v drill and saw, just wanted you to know the limitations.

Jeff

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

real name

In order to be a boni fide member of Saw Mill Creek theTerms of Service require you to use a real first and last name. Please send a private message to Jackie Outten and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

4. I have the 14.4 saw/drill combo

I bought them many years ago, and they have been servicable. i have dome remodels in my house in areas that it would have taken a long extension cord to get at. I cut 3/4 inch plywood with the saw for flooring. I did not get the power that you would from the new. larger units, but it was servicable. I currently just wen tout and bought the hitachi kit with the drill, saw and recip in 18volt (when it was on closeout at Lowes for $159.99). I like it better, more power, plus the cordless recip is really handy. I have learned that the saws suck battery fast, so I am thinking about getting a third battery.