Thread: Concave sander?

Concave sander?

Hi All
    I am new here (normally small-time user of the laser forum), but need help on behalf of a client who uses a lathe to manufacture certain items. If you were to think of very short broom handles you would have an idea..... (at this point I want to include one of the emoticons available, but they all just seem too appropriate!) his problem being that in order to get a nicely smooth rounded top end to his items, he needs some sort of concave sander to attach to his machine. Does such an item exist? How would one replace the sandpaper for something like this? Or should he (as i suggested) create a bowl and glue abrasive powder to the inside of it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as he seems to be struggling with how to solve what must surely not be a unique problem......

Pete

One option would be to use the very soft and thick foam based backer pads for the 2" disc power sanding systems. Uses velcro backed sanding discs attached to a backer pad which is fitted into a power hand held drill. These would be very easy to use and progress through series of grits and the soft pad should have enough give to conform to the piece you describe without causing too much of a flat spot. People here commonly use "Vinces" though can't recall his website off hand. Very good quality at a very fair price. Hopefully someone will chime in with that info though I'm sure you could find it with a quick search on this site. Others make similar items as well. Good luck!

I'd think a sanding pad of foam and a slow rate of speed on a ROS would help.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I had to think about that one for a bit, you want a bull nose on the end of the handle. I do those by cutting most of it so that there is only a small nib on the end, then saw that off. To sand it, I put the sanding disc in spigot jaws, set up my tool rest in front, and then rotate the handle by hand, and swing it through the arc. Hope that makes sense. Minimal sanding only, I do not shape them this way, just clean up. If you use coarse abrasives, then you can reshape the tip, which with abrasives will make it unpredictable. Might try chucking the handle in the headstock, with a steady rest, and let the lathe spin it while you hand or power sand it.

robo hippy