Thread: Stanley 40-1/2 questions

Stanley 40-1/2 questions

Hello there-

I've visited this site for a while and like the exchange here, so I'm joining in. Here goes-

I acquired a Stanley 40-1/2 at an auction as part of a lot of 6 planes for $30.
    I've researched it both in John Walter's 1990 edition and on the web, and still am not sure about date, type, etc. Given the following description, (no pics yet) what do I likely have?
    • Sweetheart logo on iron
    • backside of iron is stamped with a "+" about an inch from the edge (test for hardness?)
    • "B" cast in the body where the frog would normally be (I'm not sure what you call that area if there is no frog)
    • Beech tote and knob
    • no evidence of japaning on the outside of the body (one website said Stanley japaned the entire body except the sole)
    • 1-1/2" wide cap iron works well but has been broken and welded (not brazed - it's rusty) and the weld barely shows through the face of the cap iron
    • no cross or tee ribbing under the frog(less) area unlike the description of a #40 I found on another website - Walter's book indicated that the 40-1/2 was the same as a 40 except in size.
    Thanks in advance,
    Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn Crocker; 02-21-2005 at 12:30 AM.

You've got an earlier model plane Glenn. Stanley changed the casting to include the extra rib (T-shape) a little later in the production of the plane...not sure exactly when they changed...but it originally only had one cross rib, directly under the lever cap screw.

The plane was indeed japanned on the sides as well...but as these planes were usually used extremely hard, it didn't last. Someone probably just decided to clean it up a little.
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

3. Nice find and a very gloatable price! The #40 1/2 is much less common than the #40.
    LN's scrub is #40 1/2 size. If you need to replace the lever cap, one of theirs might work or you can get one from St. James Bay
    Last edited by Roger Nixon; 02-21-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Roger, thanks for the link.
    Louis, I'll have a couple of pics in a day or two.