Thread: Patio table design -- questions on angled tenons

Patio table design -- questions on angled tenons

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding angled tenons. I have a project working with Sapele 4/4 top and 12/4 legs. The top is ready for finishing (sanding not shown, but you get the idea) I have 2 3/4 legs that I would like to taper after I have already made my angle tenons. As I'm laying out my legs, a thought occurred to me as I was moving the table top into my garage: Are the tenons going to be strong enough to hold? If the table gets picked up and moved (delivered, etc.) is the top going to pop off with just 1/2 mortised into the top with 4 legs? I might try to pocket screw the apron into top, as they are mortise/tenon into legs (extra support). But I'm trying to avoid screws: I just don't know if the weight of the top (70 lbs?) can hold a 70 lb base with such little support. Thanks! Carl

Carl, I'm not seeing your pic but I think your 1/2 mortised into the top legs will be weak. I would definitely want to attach the apron directly as well

Thanks Pat, I decided to add screws to the project (stainless steel kreg, and 3" toenailed deck screws) and covered
    them with plugs. You can't even see them because of the apron. I also covered the apron screws with an 1/8" lathe
    strip made up of Sapele. Over all, I'm happy with the project and stability of the table. I even stood on it to test (which
    I don't condone for anyone!)

You can see a photo here:
    finish4.jpg

Carl, thats a sweet looking project. Nice work.