Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irion Lumber?

Have never bought lumber from Keim but have visited their retail store which is adjacent to the lumber yard. Their retail outlet is like no other I have seen and I have been in a lot of retail outlets in North America and a few in Europe. A location the should be on every woodworkers bucket list.Not many hardware stores that have a full blown country restaurant to feed the many bus tours that stop by.

Brian

Matt:

Johnson's in Charlotte is open Saturday, and you can pick in their block warehouse.

Well, almost a done deal. My dad has to call tomorrow and make payment arrangements (it's their table) and then it will be on the way. Another guy and I are splitting shipping which is about $200 to me. Total cost for a matched set of cherry for a 46x110 table top, plus aprons and the base is about $1300 shipped.

The lumber showed up yesterday. Beautiful stuff. They marked each piece of mine for its intended use--table top fixed parts (even sketched the curve on the pieces for the ends), leaves, aprons, etc. VERY little sapwood in general. The hunk of wood sent for the legs is absolutely massive and has little to no sapwood on it. My friend's stock had a little more sapwood than mine but still what I would consider premium cherry. He might end up 1 piece short due to planning to resaw some thicker stock that might expose some of that sapwood. Shipping went well too. The only damage we noticed was where the banding cut into the edge of my friend's stock which he didn't think would be a problem due to its rough thickness and his desired finish. They shipped Conway freight and the driver was helpful unloading piece by piece into a trailer. We then pulled the trailer back by my shop, unloaded mine, and restacked and tied down my friend's stock for the trip home.

Good to hear it went well, Matt, and I'm looking forward to the pictures of the project in the Woodworking Projects Forum here at SMC!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    ...for a 46x110 table top...
    That is going to be a substantial table. Can't wait to see some build pics.

Yep, I'm the oldest of 5, three of us are married and there are now 3 in the third generation and there will surely be more. 48" of that is going to be leaves so even closed it will still be pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Yep, I'm the oldest of 5, three of us are married and there are now 3 in the third generation
    and there will surely be more. 48" of that is going to be leaves so even closed it will still be pretty big.
    What are you going to do for chairs? I've thought of making a dining room table (albeit smaller), but I think the chairs would be beyond my current skill set, so I'd probably build the table and buy the chairs.

My mom bought the chairs which are Amish made. The table looked awful, both from a design point of view and from a material point of view--lots of narrow strips and lots of sapwood. The chairs are nice with some sapwood but not too bad and the color matches the kitchen nicely after a few days of sun tanning.