Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stud Finder

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hartunian View Post
    I bought a Zircon and I get different (error) readings at least 60-70 percent of the time. I have much better luck and more confidence in an old Craftsman one I have. Weird as it is about 15 years old.
    Funny you say this - I have had the same experience. I was at my father in laws and used his stud finder (Zircon) and ended up using my old Craftsman (about the same age as yours) and it worked much better !
    I am still interested in the new Bosch (I have no ties to Bosch - I retired from the Auto Industry), as it can locate other items, but will keep the old Craftsman for sure.

I use the Sperry Multi-scanner like this one. Works well and has all the additional features that are nice to keep in a single tool. The only problem I have it on thicker walls. I sometimes seem to get false readings. I would end up drilling a hold only to find I have not hit the stud.

Anyone try the Magic Stud Finder on plaster and lathe walls?

I have a Zircon.

I have a couple really strong rare earth magnets, and start with these when there are magnetic nails/screws involved (ie drywall). Fool proof.

If only using the Zircon, and if I dont want a bunch of holes, I use a very small drill/awl - I can just press it right through drywall to hit, and if it needs touchup the hole is small enough just plain paint will cover the hole.

Its interesting hearing so many people have so many errors with their studfinder. Often when I get an error its because I started on or near the stud. It just gets lost. I move over 8" from my last position and try again. Sometimes I will be moving quickly nailing base and I will press the button before I have fully set against the wall. Bottom line is, for me its usually user error. I own the cheapest or nearly cheapest zircon model.

I try different brands and give up on all of them ,the best way to find a stud is to measured 48 inches from a corner

Well I got the Zircon e50. It seems to work pretty well on standard 2x material, not so much on engineered beams. My home has the I beams made of 2x2s and OSB and the e50 had a hard time with them. Didn't help that the beams are about 19 1/2" on center.