Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to tar your blacktop drive? Better act quick.

Need to tar your blacktop drive? Better act quick.

Was reading that states are starting to outlaw coal tar black top sealer. Guess Canada is nation wide with the ban. Said something today to the store where I purchased some and they confirmed it may happen.

What will take it place?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Yep, looks to be true. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42917004.../#.TkSQqmvF-Uk http://www.paint.org/news/industry-n...king-lots.html

I will reserve comment as I have nothing positive to say.

It's a changing world we live in.
    Remember folks, we don't do politics at the Creek.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Lead paint was a brilliant idea at one time too.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Jackie Mason, a brilliant man, once said: "It's not a matter of being healthy anymore. It's about choosing an illness you like".

***crawling back into my radon infested cave while I still can***

Sure am glad I have a concrete drive........

I would be willing to bet there will be a alternative on the market before the last coal tar dries.

Larry

Driveway sealer

Actually there are several alternatives to coal tar driveway sealers. An asphalt emulsion which is almost the same thing as the original binder used in the hot mix and a latex type. They both work well. The advantage to the coal tar is that petroleum products do not melt or soften it. But the problem with coal tar is that it is a proven carcinogen. You name the cancer and it will help cause it.

I've never sealed my driveway and neither have my parents sealed their driveway. I've heard over the years that sealing a driveway with the stuff in a can has no benefits to the life of the driveway. About the only thing you are doing is making it look better by being blacker.

The only kind of sealer that is supposed to help are the companies that actually use machines to apply a hot sealer. The problem is companies charge $1000 and up for the service.

I can't see anything good about the coal tar stuff other than that it makes pavement black.

Birth defects, lower IQ, cancer...steep price to make a drive look black to impress other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Harner View Post
    You name the cancer and it will help cause it.
    EVERYTHING causes cancer these days. Whether thats true or not thats what we are told. I've just come to accept that living happy and free I will eventually wind up with it.

I have read the same thing about no benefit to sealing your drive. But I would have to disagree. It fills in the small hairline cracks. That has to keep freezing water out in the winter. No way around it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The only kind of sealer that is supposed to help are the companies that actually use machines to apply a hot sealer. The problem is companies charge $1000 and up for the service.
    Most streets and highways here in California are sealed with a cold process emulsion last for about 1 year if that much.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    EVERYTHING causes cancer these days. Whether thats true or not thats what we are told. I've just come to accept that living happy and free I will eventually wind up with it.
    Actually George Carlin came up with what really causes cancer. Saliva!!
    But, only if swallowed in small amounts over long periods of time..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Lead paint was a brilliant idea at one time too.
    lead paint is superior to any modern paint, it's still a good idea .

you can reproduce the mixtures (it was just pigment and linseed oil) but they wind up being awfully mold/mildew happy. the toxicity of the lead made it work.

the original lead paint on my soffits and exposed rafters is doing fine after ~103 years. no modern consumer-available paint lasts that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    My drive is big enough to park 6 cars. Cost me $130 to do it last month.
    The advantages of having it done is sealing the cracks to keep water out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night