Thread: Jet 1236 RPM Question

Jet 1236 RPM Question

I have a Jet 1236 approx. 12 years ole. The speeds are not marked either on the machine or in the owners manual. Just has 6 detents, 1-5 and "Fast".
    Anyone have any ideas before I start measuring pulley dias?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Just found on old PDF online that says 550, 900, 1250, 1650, 2600, 3000

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000057398.pdf
    Last edited by Marty Eargle; 08-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.

I've got the same lathe and I did this modification to it....

http://www.chrisbillman.com/Projects/LatheSpeed.htm

It may not help get your lathe real slow but it does help slow it down some. Plus it's really simple to do....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Thanks guys, didn't I read somewhere that you should turn betwen 6000-9000, where this number is the product of RPM x Diameter?.
    Tom

6K to 9K is a wee bit high for any woodturning lathe.

Some people use the general rule that you should turn at an RPM that falls between 6000-9000.

For example, according to that rule, you wouldn't turn a 11" piece at 2500 RMP ( 11 x 1500 = 16500 ).

But this is just a general rule for safety's safe. Obviously a some pieces should be turned (started/roughed) slower and some can be turned faster. Once you start getting use to your equipment, the actual number is less important that just what feels good to you. And of course if you're using a chuck, you probably shouldn't turned faster than what the manufacturer suggests for it.

Tom,

I have the Harbor Freight copy of that lathe, and at the lowest speed, it is pretty usable for roughing out whatever will fit on the lathe... Fastest speed makes for nice smooth finish as thin as I am willing to go...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have the HF copy as well and did the modification. Except I just pulled the handle out and moved the teeth on the shaft until the pulley closed as much as it could and locked. That slowed it down some. I never really go over half way on the speed settings because I get nervous )

For you guys who have this lathe (or the HF clone), do you turn anything with the headstock rotated to another position? I haven't yet, but it looks inviting from an accesss standpoint.
    Tom

I have the clone. I have roughed out one platter with it that started a few inches larger than the swing of the lathe, but as soon as I got it down to ~12" I rotated it back. It felt a little unnatural but I'm guessing that's simply because I hadn't used the feature after months of using the lathe.

I'll probably try it out again in the next day or so since you brought it up. Other than being unfamiliar and not having the safety of a tailstock while I was roughing, it certainly got the job done.

Tom, I started with a 1236 and rotated the head just once. The articulated arm for the toolrest is flimsy and flexes and needs to be supported (or use a solid freestanding toolrest).

Also, the higher speed and lighter weight makes for some excess vibration when turning outboard. I advise against it.