Thread: Cup/European Hinge Reveal Gap

Cup/European Hinge Reveal Gap

Hey all, long time no post!

Anyways, Im nearing the end our bathroom remodel (Finally!!!). I just finished up some doors that include my first ever use of cup (European) hinges. First off they're great - easy to install and even easier to adjust!

My only complaint is the reveal or gap you get between the door and the face frame on the hinge side. I havent worked with these before, so I wasnt anticipating having a gap of about 1/8'' or larger. I normally wouldnt necessarily care about this, but these doors are at about shin level on the front of a tub surround, so the gap is very obvious as you're standing and looking down at them. I can adjust the hinges so the door pulls closer to the frame, but then the edge of the door rubs on the front of the face frame as the door is opened.

The hinges I have are full reveal face frame Blum hinges that I picked up from Woodcraft. I guess my question is: is this size of a gap normal for this type of hinge, and/or would a different brand/style/quality of cup hinge not have this issue?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The problem isn't cup hinges in general, it is that particular hinge. The spec on those Blum face-frame hinges is that the gap between the door and the face frame is a bit more than 1/8". ( http://www.wwhardware.com/media/installation/b038n.pdf ) That's one of the reasons I don't use them. Instead, I use regular Blum hinges -- the kind that mount to the cabinet side in frameless cabinets. I use the one they call 120 degree Clip Top. On face-frame cabinets, I glue blocking inside the cabinet to have the place for the hinges to screw to. These regular Blum hinges can be adjusted down to zero gap between the door and the carcass.