Thread: can I repair air compressor hose?

Question can I repair air compressor hose?

I loaned a 50 foot section of rubber (3/8 ID) rubber air compressor hose to a friend who needed a longer reach. It came back with a diagonal cut about 2 inches long.

I have repaired garden hose many times, is there any equivalent with air compressor hose?

A double barbed brass fitting with some hose clamps should do the trick. I think they even sell then near the compressor hoses in the borg for just such an occasion.

You betcha. Same general concept as the garden hose. Available everywhere - prolly local hardware, maybe BORG?

examples @ Amaon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...repair&x=0&y=0
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

+1 on Martys suggestion, I also electrical tape over the hose clamps after they are good and tight, that will keep the hose from catching on everything.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I've repaired mine for years; however I don't like using hose clamps because the either get stuck on things when you're dragging the hose around in the shop, or can scratch up paint on equipment, cars, etc.

You start with a double barbed fitting (tight fit into the hose), and then some way to compress the outside of the hose around it. I've used copper tubing before as a crimp sleeve (mixed results), or simply used a pair of aircraft safety-wire pliers with steel baling wire. Make several wraps around the hose, and then twist the ends of the wire tight and lay them flush along the hose. Finally, slide some heavy duty shrink tubing over it and shrink (or tape it up).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    I've repaired mine for years; however I don't like using hose clamps because the either get stuck on things when you're dragging the hose around in the shop, or can scratch up paint on equipment, cars, etc.

You start with a double barbed fitting (tight fit into the hose), and then some way to compress the outside of the hose around it. I've used copper tubing before as a crimp sleeve (mixed results), or simply used a pair of aircraft safety-wire pliers with steel baling wire. Make several wraps around the hose, and then twist the ends of the wire tight and lay them flush along the hose. Finally, slide some heavy duty shrink tubing over it and shrink (or tape it up).
    May want to slide the heat shrink while the hose is still in two pieces...

Depending on where the cut is, put a new end on each piece and have 2 hoses!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Your local auto parts store should have a kit for splicing air hoses, they are even reusable.

Bottom of the page.... https://miltonindustries.com/uploads/Pages_22-23.pdf

Ed

I wouldn't hesitate to ask friend to replace hose, unless it was old and worn out. Both Northern Tool, and Harbor Freight sell Goodyear hoses. Grainger stocks a reusable hose mender (6X427 3/8" ) for about $10. Installed, it looks like a factory end. If you can't buy direct from Grainger, Lowes can order it for you. Most auto parts places (not Advance, Autozone, or O'Rielys) stock both barbs and ferrules. A crimping tool will be your problem (not cheap.) Welding supply stores also stock ferrules and barbs.

Jesse, Most NAPA auto parts stores can do a air hose repair with crimped brass sleeves on hose ends. Tom

Put a quick release fitting in it and have two hoses.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I think Chris has the best idea with a close second by Bruce! If I borrowed a tool it would get returned in the same condition and cleaned. I hate to loan tools and only do so to very few friends and they always bring it back cleaner than when I handed it to them. But if you just want to fix it make it into two hoses. Just my 2 cents.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling