Thread: Adirondack Hunter's Platter

Adirondack Hunter's Platter

This is a platter I made few years back from a large 8/4 x 15-1/2" piece of hackberry. Unfortunately, I gave it to a hunter friend of mine in MI (100 miles south of you know who) and was unable to get a bottom photo. Hackberry grows throughout the midwest from MN to the Gulf, and is probably more commonly used as pallet wood. The platter is 15" D x 2" thick. The bottom has a shallow lip at about 5" diameter for a base. I turned the bottom first using a face plate, followed by a recess chuck to finish the top, then finished off the bottom in a jam chuck. Finish is 400 grit, followed by multiple coats of shellac. I did not fill the grain as I feel the openess adds to the rough hunting theme. The rim decorations are shot shell brasses. Hope you enjoy. C&C welcome and desired.

yAdirondack Hunters Platter detail.jpgadirondack hunters platter top view.jpgAdirondack Hunters Platter perspective.jpg
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

That's nice, Jerry! The brass inserts really make the piece for me.

Really nice plate Jerry! Ditto on the brass inserts. One of my 1st thoughts after seeing your plate was "those brass inserts on that light wood would make a really cool clock".
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy,did you count the inserts to see if they added up to 12 ?

Ray - it is summer and I can see my toes -there are 12!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Jerry, I love what you did here!! So many possibilities - I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" the shotshell casing idea. That would look awesome on a walnut piece, as well.

Jerry,

I love the shotshell look - really makes the platter. Every year I make a few things for our local pheasants forever banquet and I think this would be a great new idea for next year's affair. With your indulgence, I'd love to borrow the idea as well. You know, we have to make money for pheasant habitat so more grow up so we can shoot more of them. Kinda a funny circle of life and death.

John and Scott - borrow away! That is why we share.

Jerry
    Jerry

Nice Jerry, I love the shot gun shells as well. I know some guys that would love one of these.