Thread: Belmont and Lakeside chisels

Belmont and Lakeside chisels

I have the following two chisels, both of which have square sides (i.e., they're registered) and both of which probably fit into the category of firmer chisels.
    No. 1 -- The mark is BELMONT over the words HIGH GRADE over U.S.A. The mark is unadorned, with no fancy lettering, no box around the words or anything like that.
    No. 2-- The mark is just the word LAKESIDE. Nothing else at all.

Can anyone tell me about the manufacturers or sellers of these tools? I've read that LAKESIDE was a trademark Montgomery Ward used as a house brand, but the pictures of Monty Ward tools I've seen with that mark have the words Montgomery Ward along with LAKESIDE. I've also read that LAKESIDE was a mark associated with a company with Union in the name, but, unfortunately, it seems that there have been at least a couple of different companies in the tool business with the word Union in the company name. For some reason, I've picked up the idea that BELMONT might have been a hardware store or the house brand of a hardware store, but I can't find anything to confirm that.

Blog Entries
    I am not sure of the different makers of the Lakeside brand, but it may have been a house brand. Those were often made by whoever won the bid at the time.

There was a Union Mfg. Co. they sold their plane division to Stanley in about 1920.

I also have a few chisels marked Union Hardware.

I did have a #5 Lakeside plane many years ago. It was given to a friend. I believe it was made by Stanley. I have heard of Sargent made Lakside planes.

If the chisels work well, it doesn't matter what the name happens to be.

My selection of chisels is a fairly eclectic grouping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)