Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official gloat.. Rockwell 12 - 14 table saw

Enjoy the restoration and you certainly stole that saw. This must be the week of huge saws in the Creek. You new owners need to venture to OWWM. Lots of familiar and friendly faces there.

Blog Entries
    Ancient history here folks.

might hqve done it by accident. I was looking at getting a '59 for a steal. idiot error

If you feel comfortable working with 240v single phase current, building your own rotary phase convertor is not difficult though it can get a little pricey if you're not good at sourcing parts. A quick search of the Internet will produce a gazillion sites and posts about them. A well designed and generally well thought of version is the Fitch-Williams RPC. (I tried to upload the PDF detailing its design and construction for a 10HP RPC, but at 2.2 MB it was too large).

For those that can envision using their RPC to power future/additional 3Phase machines, I have attached a PDF on building a 3 phase distribution panel that could be expanded to handle any number of outlets/machines. Understanding how this thing works can take some effort but I built an expanded version and have been very happy with it.

As always, proceed at your own risk and contact a qualified electrician if needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guys - 3 of us have posted this so far - this is a SIX YEAR OLD THREAD.

Just got lucky myself, scored a Delta Rockwell 12 - 14 from a local school and she looks and runs great. It will need a going over, lube, general check out but for $550. we paid the bill and ran for the hills.

We have her connected to our 10 hp rotary 3 phase converter and she is a BEAST

image.jpgI've posted this a few times but here is a 12/14 wing next to a uni wing. Good find and welcome to the club.

Welcome to the 12/14 club! Proud owner of one of those "Pallet eaters" as I call them.

Old thread, but if you need more horsepower for a rotary converter you can always add a big three phase disk sander or a three phase dust collector into the mix.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Guys - 3 of us have posted this so far - this is a SIX YEAR OLD THREAD.
    Yep, bunch of us OLD farts get together and talk about our OLD saws, and OLd times... Whats your problem young fella, seems ya got some thin skin....?????????

Six years and going strong. I guess you can't keep a good TS down. I prefer our Rockwell over our PM 74A

I missed this thread the first time around so I get to jump in now. I got my 12/14 nearly ten years ago and did a full resto on it. I love it, use it every day. A lot of people put routers in the wing of their 10" saw. I put a full size shaper in the wing of my 12/14 (plus a router table in the wing of my PM65.)

Shop tour (8).jpg

Shop tour (9).jpg

SIX years and going strong.. Ours is running great, but we could use the extra arbor extension for a 12" dado set. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    SIX years and going strong.. Ours is running great, but we could use the extra arbor extension for a 12" dado set. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
    Grizzly used to make a clone of the 12/14 and the arbor stub and other parts would fit. The saw and parts are out of production but a call to Grizzly might turn up some in a corner somewhere.

More info here:

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/1214GrizzlyParts.ashx

Very nice big saw. You will love restoring and using it.
    Charlie Jones