Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kitchen knife sharpening

Blog Entries
    Lansky - cheap and idiot-proof. No really; even I can use it so it has to be usable by those who totally lack the sharpening gene. I use my Worksharp for almost everything else and love it. I have a few stones and a scary sharp setup for those items that do not work with the WS3K. Someone on one of the forums mentioned the Lansky and for about $35 the LANLKCLX Deluxe Knife Sharpening System Kit has earned its keep after only a short while. Just my (sharpening klutz) experience.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post

I use my belt grinder on my japanese knives.
    A joke I assume?

When using a belt grinder on knives, should be reserved for major metal removal to correct angles or chips, broken tips, etc. You need to be very careful though as you can de-temper the steel and make it soft.

I used to use only carbon steel knives but now often use stainless as well. I know you don't want to free hand but I recommend a fine (600)/very fine (1200) DMT duo with the holder. A few swipes on each grit and you're good to go. I've tried going finer with waterstones but usually don't. I would be cautious about the sharpening guys at the farmer's market. There's a guy here who thinks rough grinding is sharpening.

Each knife steel is different, nut in general terms;

carbon steel knives can obtain a sharper edge, are a tad softer, so the edge doesn't last as long, but are WAY easier to sharpen.

SS holds the edge longer, but doesn't get quite as sharp to begin with, and is a PITA to sharpen.

Carbon steel (at least until it gets a patina formed) can cause smells with certain foods. This is one reason why clad knives are popular with CS cores clad with SS. Only the actual cutting edge of CS is exposed. You can also "force" a patina to speed the process and not worry about smells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnyjpEs32I

The video shows one doing a pattern, but you don't have to use a pattern. Also pretty much any acidic food can be used, not just mustard.
    Last edited by Russ Filtz; 08-06-2011 at 11:05 PM.

I have an Edge Pro system, and it's fantastic. Great Sharp edges, but I hardly ever use it. I have three worksharps, but hate the way a knife feels on them. I have a 1x30 belt sander, but it's more than needed in most situations (but when did that ever stop us, right?) I have Shapton glass stones from 220 to 16000, and I am very proficient at hand sharpening, but hands down the easiest way to get an extremely sharp edge for the novice knife sharpener is going to be the convex edge. A piece of leather, some wet/dry papers from low up to 2500, then stropping on leather with chromium oxide. Want a very cheap pure chromium oxide that is WAAAAY better than what you find at woodcraft or Lee Valley? Go with your wife to A.C. Moore or whatever other craft store and find the oil paints. NOT ACRYLIC. Wilton has a color that is aptly called "Chromium oxide Green". It's nothing but chromium oxide mixed in linseed oil, which is perfect for leather strops.

Now google the videos on knivesshipfree.com or the Bark River Knife and Tool convex sharpening method.

It's easy, fast, and can yield a fantastic edge. If you don't want to wait to go get the chromium oxide, just use Mothers aluminum polish from the same auto parts store where you get your wet/dry sandpaper. It has extremely fine aluminum oxide in it and works fantastically for sharp knives.

Oh, and a sharp smooth polished edge doesn't work as well on tomatoes? hasn't ever used a sharp smooth polished edge on quality steel. Most typical knives like you'll buy in many retail stores aren't made from quality enough steel to benefit from sharpening past 2000 grit or so (JIS), but something like a Hiromoto AS or even a quality french Sabatier knife can benefit from going as high as 8000 or 16000 grit and followed with a very light stropping on chromium oxide. The knife can be maintained at this level of sharpness for a decent while with just the chromium oxide strop.

For less than 10 bucks, you can have the sharpest knives on the block and it only takes a few minutes per knife.
    Last edited by Ben Rivenbark; 08-07-2011 at 12:09 AM.

This is one of the most complete web sites on sharpening I have every seen. It is very detailed, shows many sharpening systems, Tormeks etc. Search for Steve Bottorff knife sharpening. It should show you many ways to sharpen any knife

J Load