Thread: DeWalt battery vs charger ?

DeWalt battery vs charger ?

Your opinion needed. Put my 14.4 battery on the quick charger and after about an hour I checked it only to find it was so hot I could not hold it, also had a burnt smell. This battery was about 3 years old but had gone through probably less than 30 charges on it. Needless to say, the battery is toast Do you think it was just a short in the battery or the charger is bad ? The chargers light was on saying it was fully charged when I took it off.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

We had a 14.4 catch fire while charging. Lucky we were there to throw it out the front door. We used to leave them plugged in all the time but now they are all on a switched receptacle and get turned off before we leave. I would blame the battery.

+1 the battery! Charger's got a thermal thingie(DeWalt tech term) in it. DeWalts are prone to igniting, especially after being reworked.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    +1 the battery! Charger's got a thermal thingie(DeWalt tech term) in it. DeWalts are prone to igniting, especially after being reworked.
    Well, I hope you guys are right, I will go ahead and try it with my other battery.You would think that a " thermal thingie " would shut it off before getting that hot.

Update, Must be the " thermal thingie " in the charger. Had the same problem with the second battery. I left it on the charger for 15 min. after it said it was charged and it was almost to hot to handle, not as hot as the first one got but way hotter than normal. Hope this battery is not toast also. I will see after it cools down.