Thread: Delta vintage 1460 vs Delta 46-246!

Delta vintage 1460 vs Delta 46-246!

Hi,
    I thought I would ask you more experienced Turners what you thought about these two lathes. I admit I love the old iron but at the same time have a low tolerance for aggravation. I'm sort of pulled both ways I like the heavy old iron but also really like the new maybe more advanced features of the newer lathes. Both of these lathes are available to me at almost the same price. The Delta 46-460 a little more of course,but no problem if I decide to go that way. Any help or opinions are appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by Greg Webb; 07-23-2011 at 2:12 PM.

I sure like my 46-460. I would reccomend it unless you want to turn longer things. Of course, you could always get a bed extension.
    David

I have turned on the Delta 46-460. If it had been out when I bought my Jet I would have gotten it. It has a bigger motor, VS and reverse.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Gentlemen,
    I guess I answered my own question. I was about to go crazy trying to figure out what to do about these two lathes as they were close in cash lay out but really two totally different machines. I finally called Woodcraft in town and talked to a salesman about the newest Delta. They were having a sale ($535) but he had sold 10 of these lathes in 2 weeks and was out of new models, all he had left was the demo on the floor! I asked if he could hold it till I got there to look at it and he said no problem! When I got there and looked at it, I discovered that they had also replaced all of there Jet models with this lathe for their turning classes! When I asked the best price I could get for the Demo I was told $510! I was hoping for better but they said the mark up was not much and that was the best they could do. I took it! Here is a pic of the lathe with my various turning tools. Old carbon steel Bucks mostly and a Jorgeson and Woodcraft bowl tools from anOldTurner I met moving back to Texas and selling out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the Delta Force! You got a great deal on a great lathe... I love mine and only wish I got to use it more.

JP

I hope you enjoy the lathe as much as I do. Quite a step up for me from a 46-30
    Peter

Love my 460. Variable speed is so nice.

Hi Gentlemen,
    I used the lathe a little now and I've got a ways to go as far as talent but I'm having fun and it's a interesting process! This is my first wood lathe and from what I see it will do everything I want. I'm going to work on tool handles for now and maybe a small bowl or two. I'm going to make one of the sharpening jigs as I have a full machine shop. I usually prefer working in metal but can see the wood lathe will be getting some attention for awhile!

Does anyone make pepper mills here? I'd like to make a few of those I think! Thanks!