Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Spalting Experiment

New Spalting Experiment

Looks like I might be coming into some spalted wood for turning. Not sure I'd recommend the method to anyone else, but maybe I'll get something good out of this mess yet. Have a couple of Box Elder logs in here, some ash and elm as well. Be interesting to see what I get, (and when I might be able to turn again.)

Shop north section SE.jpgShop SW.jpgBaxter Garage-Shop 7-4-2011.jpg

BTW, the lathe used to sit right over there under the window. It is sitting on a pallet well away from shop just waiting to come home.

Catch me up, what happened?

Never mind, I can see the water line. Bummer.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Jones; 07-23-2011 at 9:07 AM.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Yep, second on what Richard first said, and then I looked at the banner on the screen shot. Wow, that's a costly experiment not under your control.... With a positive attitude, you will come away from this a better turner........ At least that's what I've always been told happens after disasters..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Man that just stinks.I hope you can get back up bigger and better,and pray it never happens again.

That just sucks. I hope things work out for you and you come back turning better than ever.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I can feel your pain! Lost everything many years ago in a hurricane but the good news was - no one was injured. Hope your rebuild goes smoothly!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

OUCH...... that's gotta hurt! Hopefully the rebuild goes easily, as these things go.
    Michael

Clint...my sympathies! It's tough recovering from a disaster like that!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's awful! Hopefully things dry out and get back to normal soon!

Sorry to hear your bad news. Went through same with Ivan. Only salt water. Didn't have any wood left, only bad tools.

That is just terrible, when we were driving through ND on our way to Idaho all the rivers and ponds and anything low lying was filled with water and in a couple places it was coming across the highway. We were many miles south of you and I can't imagine how it felt to see your shop under water and not knowing what would be left. Take it easy on the clean up and rebuild, we can wait to see you back turning no matter how long it takes, stay safe and will keep you inour prayers.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Sorry Clint,
    I don't see any machinery. Were you able to get it out before the water came? Good luck putting it all back together. It will be better than ever.
    faust

Got pretty much all the stationary machinery out except for the cyclone dust collector. Have found a few smaller power tools in the mess since we started cleaning up. Worst part about dealing with the whole situation is my stress relief, being able to go out and turn something, is no longer available. Unfortunately, this is as you can imagine, a slightly stressful situation. The whole community up here has done extraordinarily well. Just a few hundred people in shelters when over 11,000 were displaced. Will be rebuilding for a while.

I hate to imagine having to go through that. Good luck on the cleanup!

That sucks beyond belief...
    David DeCristoforo