Thread: Cant Gourlay & Co Spindle Shaper 1872-1886

Cant Gourlay & Co Spindle Shaper 1872-1886

Just finished this shaper today. This is probably the first time it has run in 30-40 yrs. My only disappointment is the v-belt drive (flat belt just seemed like it would have been more appropriate). Still a few things to button up but it's pretty much done.

Steve
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WoRJSXBcsMo
    Last edited by steve swantee; 07-23-2011 at 2:39 PM.

I imagine that it is running at far more RPM's than it was made for.
    Flat belts don't move as fast as those v=belts with that motor with that size pulley.
    I am assuming that the spindle has babbit bearings considering the date of manufacture.
    But I love the castings, a lot of machines from that period had pin striping, real pride in workmanship in those days.
    Dave

Looks good. I've never seen v-belts run on a flat surface like that and am curious how it does under load.
    JR

I did not watch the u tube as my computor is too slow, but I have a 5 hp three phase Baldor with a flat belt pulley on it that used to run my Porter Jointer. If you are in need of such an animal......

I'm still curious, can you post a single pic?

Larry who needs a new computor.......

Here's a couple of pictures for you Larry:

Dave, the shaper has the original babbitts and is running at a speed that is comparable to what it would have been run at on a lineshaft - approx. 4000 rpm.

By the way Larry, what size is your flat belt pulley?-outside diameter and bore
    Last edited by steve swantee; 07-24-2011 at 9:56 AM.

Steve,
    I guess I assumed too much, It is nice too see old machines put back into use.
    I have an old lathe made in 1890, it has the old lineshaft stepped pulley on it, but I use a transmission and v-belts.
    I use drip oilers, it has an 80" bed, great for turning tall bedposts.
    Dave

Steve, wonderful looking restoration.

Call me chicken, however I would put a stop pushbutton on the front of the shaper so it would be closer to the operator.

Is that an MDF top?

I like the inclusion of the router, might as well share the same top and fence.

Regards, Rod.

First off, that is WAY COOL! But a question...other than weight, what keeps the table from vibrating, moving across the floor, and loosening tension of the belts so that you lose the drive connection? Seems that there should be something that goes to the motor that would allow for adjustment of tension on the belt(s) to keep the drive connected. Is there something I'm just not seeing in the video or pictures?? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Rod, the top is MDF (two layers of 3/4" glued together).
    Jim, vibration hasn't been an issue so far. Although the base is an open style, it is very heavy and has not moved as of yet.

Steve

I'll be out at the shop in the next couple of days and I will try to remember. The motor is something I trip over in the dark when I get my tractor out, so that will remind me. I would say it is 6-7 inches. Not sure on the shaft size, but you can have it N/C if you can use it.

My Porter was the same way, motor bolted to the floor, and it was no problem other than it took up too much space.

Shaper looks awesome! Would be very cool in any shop. I'll keep my eye out for old shaper fences. If you give that MDF a soaker coat of West System it will harden up the surface nicely.

Later, Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 07-24-2011 at 6:14 PM.

Thanks Larry.

Steve